Unlimited access >

Vertical Metal Tack Trunk/Valet with Wheels

Looking for vertical metal tack trunks with nice big wheels, ideally four with brakes. Ability to hold two saddles. Lockable, ideally with a single lock.

Anyone have any suggestions, or experience with any of the following brands:
Flexi Equine - https://www.flexiequinetack.com/eco-range
Italico - https://www.italico-equestrian.com/product-category/luxury-box/luxury-box-evo/
Top Jock - https://topjocktackboxes.com/shop/vertical-box.php
Tailored Tack Lockers/Cullen - https://cullenequinesolutions.com/equine-solutions/tailored-tack-lockers/

Color/fancy customization not important.

I found a couple of threads on this but most were ancient enough that most of the links didn’t work.

I suspect what you described as desirable is not manufactured because of the potential tipping over if Not securely attached.

Here is the notice from an IKEA recall for dressers which would have been more stable than what you are desiring

Hazard: The recalled chests and dressers are unstable if they are not properly anchored to the wall, posing a serious tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or injuries to children.

There are multiple vertical tack trunks manufactured by various sellers.

Stationary furniture child safety standards are a different animal :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Most of the ones I saw at the shows this summer were from Top Jock. I think. And were of the larger, double-doored rectangular design. (Lots of people also had small, wall-hanging meds/bandage lockers that matched.) As someone who gets anxious at clutter the fact that they’re large enough to hold the bulk of your tack and grooming supplies is very appealing. I’d also be less worried about saddles being stolen overnight due to the size, weight, and strength of the locks. Personally, I’d opt for that larger rectangle design on the basis of those merits and the fact that they’re proportionately not that much more money than the smaller ones. I suppose the biggest considerations would be the configuration/amount of space available to stow it during transport and where you’ll put it when you get to a show, though.

If money were no object I’d get one for actual tack and another as my show coffee/adult beverages bar! Lol.

2 Likes

I have a few of the rectangular ones that @TheDBYC is describing. Mine are from Flexi Equine.

Love them except for one thing - they are heavy af, as the youth would say. That said, one of mine has a flip down laptop desk in one of the doors and I use that thing way more often than I thought, trying to work and get in riding time. I would also say that just the single saddle trunk is nice, but not all that useful, whereas the amount that the side by side holds is a lot easier with the slide out bridle racks, etc.

So just be aware that if you buy one, saddle trunk or side by side - they look light and portable but if you can’t roll it, you’re gonna need a crew to move it.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some Top Jocks in person and they are nice. I can’t justify the $5K (IIRC) for the double door box though, so am looking into making my own. A friend made one similar to the top jocks but taller and no wheels. She has a hell of a time moving it and does not take it to shows.

There’s also these plastic trunks on wheels. They are huge in person (I thought it was a trash can - the big ones that they give you for the truck arms to pick up) but I think it wouldn’t hold all/ most of my stuff which is the goal for me. A few pads, 2 bridles, two saddle, and some smaller odds and ends yes - I have a large standard trunk and a Rubbermaid or two of things I’d like to consolidate into one which wouldn’t fit in this.

1 Like

What I have doesn’t work for storing saddles, but if you can live without that, this is amazing.

I call it the “cow box” because it’s sold at farm and livestock shows. I painted it black and added my monogram to make it a little fancier.

It’s on a permanent dolley and I can move it - even fully loaded - by myself. I did end up buying a new trailer because I wanted a ramp into the tack room to make loading it easy, so it did end up costing me more than I’d originally intended :grin:.

I found storage containers with dividers that fit perfectly on the shelves so all my stuff is organized in there. People ask me about it alllllll the time at shows.

6 Likes

I have one by Flexi equine, the big double door kind, it has 2 saddle racks on one side, drawers, bridle racks, plus a safe, phone charger etc. It also has a (separate, but attaches) box that goes on top for blankets and wraps, that door opens up. It is great, but: 1) SUPER heavy loaded. Takes 3 guys to push it up the ramp, and as someone mentioned upthread, can be dangerous. A BNT was seriously injured IIRC a few years ago when one fell on her coming off the rig. And 2) honestly for the money, not that well made. The doors are seriously dented after just 2 show seasons, and the stickers do tear/ peel off.

1 Like

I don’t use my plastic upright for shows but if I did I think it could hold everything one horse/rider needed except for maybe multiple blankets. It’s pretty space efficient.

That being said it’s bulky and heavy and I think one person would struggle to move it. It’s not really practical to regularly take to shows. It works great as a single person “locker” at home.

2 Likes

These are fantastic. Thanks for sharing the link.

Where did you find those storage bins?

Uline. I had to buy 4 or 6 of each size (the top two shelves of the cowbox are not as tall as the bottom two) but luckily several friends have gotten the same tack lockers so I’ve been able to pawn off my extra boxes. I did forget that the storage bins are like 1/2" too wide so I trimmed the lip on the sides to make them fit.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8821/Divider-Boxes?keywords=dividers

Oh, and I also drilled through the sides and put two hooks on each side of the box. Those outside hooks have been very useful as well. I can take pics if you’d like to see the whole setup.

Following up.

I bought a used Flexi one from someone who had been across the aisle from me at a show. Picking it up involved borrowing a giant (to me) trunk from a friend. It’s one of the smaller ones but holds all I need.

A friend ended up with a Saddlebox brand one that’s bigger (wider) than mine. Shipped out of AZ from these people and she got it in a matter of weeks.

Life changing not having to unpack almost the whole trunk and then repack it every day at the show. And so far we haven’t killed ourselves loading or unloading from the trailer.

4 Likes

I am so gauche. I have the Burlingham you posted - but am shocked at the current price. They used to run around $800 and I picked mine up for a $300 song from a local person. It is irreplaceable and you’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands before I’ll give it up.

2 Likes

HAHA… LOVE IT… and the nice thing is… at the end of the day, they’re usually big enough that someone can take out all the trays and bury you in it when you’re dead & gone! You’ll never need to be without it! From stall to casket… I see a new marketing trend…

10 Likes

I have a friend with one for sale (she may have sold it) for $500 and I’ve been toying with getting it. How mouse/ bug/ dust proof is it when closed? My barn is a dirt aisle and everything gets cobwebs and dusty in a matter of hours (currently it mostly all lives in a regular wood trunk in disarray).

1 Like

We don’t have an enclosed tackroom and Texas is a freaking dust bowl. I don’t have any issues with the above. You can literally roll it out and hose off if needed but I just don’t care that much to do so.

I don’t know that they’re WATERPROOF but short of it getting rained on or intentionally sprayed with a hose, they close up tightly enough to keep most dust/dirt/moisture out.

We have two from here we really like
https://www.mcguinnfarms.com/index.php/verticals