Unlimited access >

Very itchy foal- insects

Can foals have insect bite hypersensitivity?

We have particularly brutal gnats anytime there’s not much wind. My foal was just miserable this afternoon. Scratching on everything and aggravating his dam, as he uses her as a scratching post and keeps rubbing himself on her.

I might try stalling them tomorrow, but has anyone have this present at such a young age? I will say my mare was extremely itchy the last few weeks of her pregnancy. Not sure if that is related to this. Neighbors have a bunch of new cows and there’s nothing I can really do about that (as we now have lots of flies from the cows).

Poor horses are in for a long summer.

You might also try cross posting in sport horse breeding, lots of knowledgeable folks there

Where are you, how old is the foal, and have you used any fly sprays yet?

I ask how old, and where, largely to see how much of this might be normal foal itchies, sweat, and shedding.

1 Like

Foals are normally so itchy their first few sheds. It’s a great time to bond with them. :wink:

If you are certain it is insect related, can you get fly traps around where they hang out, and flyspray mom & baby? Possibly even give mom a flysheet?

1 Like