Unlimited access >

Vet for prepurchase exam near HITS Ocala? Price?

I am considering purchasing 2 horses stabled near HITS Ocala. I am not local, so am looking for recommendations of equine vets to do the prepurchase exams. I am also wondering what people have paid for their prepurchase exams in Ocala. I am planning on the basics (without scoping or xrays, unless otherwise indicated by flexions, palpation or hoof testers). I am really hoping to hear peoples reviews of the local vets please!

Dr. Porter is wonderful. He is a lameness vet, specifically - however, does PPEs all over Florida. http://phdveterinaryservices.com/projects/phd/prepurchase.cfm

Most PPEs around this area are in the $200 - $250 range. That is without x-rays/scopes, etc.

Thanks! I will check it out.

Any one else with experience with the local vets?

Dr. Ted Specht— El Sol Equine
Super thorough!!!
Or Dr. Adams from equine medical center

Peterson & Smith
Ocala Equine

Peterson and Smith is the standard around here. THey have lots of vets and usually have one to send. Ted Spect is also good - he was my vet for quite a while until I moved barns. Price totally depends on # of xrays taken.

Peterson and Smith. My friend paid about $1200 but that included a lot of x rays. I don’t remember the name of the vet who my friend uses regularly for prepurchases, but he is excellent. I watched one prepurchase and was impressed at his thoroughness as well as his clear explanations of what findings were not normal but not a problem. Talk with the receptionist at Peterson and Smith and she should be able to guide you in choosing a vet there who does a lot of prepurchase exams.