Unlimited access >

Vet jailed for doping

4 Likes

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the legal case? " Drug adulteration," mislabeling" violations, and the ā€œmisbrandingā€ or ā€œdeception/misleadingā€ of unapproved animal drugs charges are violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. I am curious if the FDAā€™s Office of Criminal Investigation took federal action against this party. I know the Agency has recently followed up on the distribution of ā€œunapprovedā€ veterinary drugs in other ā€œdopingā€ cases.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/horse-doping-drug-supplier-sentenced-11-years-prison

Thanks

Many thanks; it seems that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was behind the unapproved animal drug adulteration, manufacture, and distribution changes. 15 years ago, the FDA, and the Agency, would not have pursued this action because horses were not ā€œfood-producingā€ animals. Drug tissue residue and antibiotic residue in milk were the main animal concerns at the Agency, I am glad it looks like that policy is changing. For those READY to attack my comment I have worked 20+ years as a chemist for the Agency and I LOVE MY JOB. But I donā€™t necessarily agree with all of our policies.

1 Like

You mean you donā€™t check out their website ? :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the update; no, I donā€™t. I am in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, and we are still up to our ears in COVID-19. I used to work at FDAā€™s Center for veterinary medicine and would stay up to date with what the other FDA guys and we were posing on the Internet. Thanks for the information; I need to start doing that again.