Unlimited access >

Veterinary Podcast on DCM and grain free diets - clinical study recruitment

In case anyone is interested the Ontario Veterinary College has a podcast titled “Vet Sessions”. Some topics are very in-depth and likely complicated and not very interesting for the average pet owner, but some of them are quite good.
The most recent episode is an interview with Dr. Shari Raheb, a board-certified veterinary cardiologist at the Ontario Veterinary College, and Ms. Sydney Banton, a PhD candidate at the Ontario Agricultural College. They discuss dilated cardiomyopathy and grain free diets, and go over a clinical study of theirs at the OVC that is underway. They’re still recruiting so I thought I would post here in case any Ontario pet owners here on coth might be able to participate.

Link to episode https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/s3e10-controversy-around-grain-free-diets-and-dilated/id1603896849?i=1000644192306

Link to study https://bpb-ca-c1.wpmucdn.com/sites.uoguelph.ca/dist/1/292/files/2023/08/SRaheb_HeartDiet.pdf

4 Likes

I’m a junkie and will add this to my list. It is AMAZING what is going on in the podcast world. Some of the most talented, educated people in our passion are talking and sharing.

TRT (Tristan Tucker) has one now too and just interviewed a dental PhD and wow was that mind blowing. There is ALOT more dental pain and discomfort going on than we think.

And today I was listening to Straight From The Horses Mouth - Springhill Equine Vet Clinic - with Martin Nielsen at UK - chief worm guy. A reall fascinating discussion about how we got into the MESS with resistance.

1 Like

I really enjoy Dr. Lacher’s podcast. I read her husbands books, they were an easy read, and then I passed them on to one the barn kids. I was a young crazy horse kid before the internet really took off. I was so excited every month when all of the horse magazines would come in. I’d read them cover to cover, trying to be a sponge. It’s so convenient having information at our fingertips, but I wonder how many kids read, listen or learn before there’s an issue?

1 Like