Unlimited access >

Video of horse jogging...possible lameness?

Does this horse look off to you? Something just doesn’t seem perfectly right…but I can’t put my finger on it

https://youtu.be/26cJbg1YRVA

He is going very short and sucked back all around. But that might be how a Western horse is trained.

When he’s facing the camera he looks a little off right front. But I think it’s quite possible he is sore in both front feet and has navicular syndrome.

If this is your horse and you want more feedback, take off the saddle and film him on longe with some impulsion at an English working trot in both directions on a harder surface. Then trot him toward and away from the camera in hand. A dirt road would be good footing for this.

Many Western horses shuffling around under tempo in deep footing look lame to me because of how they are asked to move :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He looks slightly head bobbing on left front?

1 Like

I find it a bit difficult to tell from the distance in the video. I’m not an expert, but at first, it looked like the right hind may have been dragging a bit more than the left hind, but it also looks like his head is bobbing with the left front.

I had to go to the youtube link and expand the page and still then enlarge the page to see the horse well.
First, clean feet well and try again, see if horse still seems off?
Checking on firm ground may show more than on soft ground, as Scribbler already mentioned.

I would have a vet check it, could be something, nothing, that is what vets are for, they will test and come closer to determine if and what is going on there.

Coming out of one turn to the right, his left front at the knee seemed to move oddly, but could not see that anywhere else?

Thanks everyone…I was seeing a slight head bob on the left front as well

The general rule of thumb is that lameness in the hoof is exacerbated by hard footing, and lameness further up the leg can be exacerbated by soft footing.

My first reaction to this photo is foot sore, and as I said he could be sore all around. Navicular syndrome affects both front feet and laminitis will affect all four feet. When a horse is sore in both front feet it is hard to see a consistent head bob. Also you need to know the normal for that horse. Is he moving less freely than usual?

If he is your horse get some video trotting out on harder surface. And get a vet involved.

If he’s a sales video, I would pass. Something is NQR and if it’s hooves it’s likely chronic.

If you are just testing your eye on random video, I agree he is NQR but there isn’t enough evidence here to diagnose.

Yes, but he takes some odd steps on the right hind. I have a hard time calling most of that job a diagonal gait.

Otherwise, I don’t know why people post video for lameness evaluation that has so many confounding factors built in.

1 Like

@huntseat3 I posted last fall when you were constantly posting other people’s videos and photos for critique without their permission.

At that time, you were told that COTH (and really horse people in general) don’t like to judge other people’s horses without their permission or presence, and if you were truly looking to purchase something - you needed to be working with a trainer, not soliciting advice on the internet.

The videos have since been removed, so I can’t tell if they were yours or not, but here’s a reminder that it’s an incredibly tacky thing to do if you’re still posting videos and photos of horses that don’t belong to you for critique on a public forum and it’s against COTH’s TOS.

@Moderator 1 could you please keep an eye on this poster for this behavior?

4 Likes

This is MY horse…

The videos have been removed from YouTube, so there is no way to verify that.

Regardless, it’s very easy to see all of the posts you made last fall with photographs you did not have permission to be posting. Just a reminder that it’s against TOS and you have quite the history of doing it.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/YAG5LtNjVfI

If it really is your horse, do as we suggested and get video trotting out with more impulsion on a hard footing. Shuffling along in soft footing makes it hard to see anything

1 Like

This is your horse and you can’t tell if he feels off without posting some far away, trotting slower than most horses walk video?

OP, you may want to post that in the Horse Care forum?

If you think there is something off with your horse, then take the horse to an equine lameness vet.

The internet can’t help you diagnose your horse.