Unlimited access >

Vitamin/Mineral Supplement

My senior is on the Mad Barn Omneity, and has also been on the Amino Trace. She gets the Omneity with a small bit of grain, a top dress, Mad Barn Visceral and her other supplements. She looks super. All Mad Barn products are great quality and competitively priced.

3 Likes

What’s the name of the supplement that comes in little packets inside a large bucket? You give one packet a day (according to the directions) is that Platinum Performance?

The only supplement I know that comes like that is Equistro Megablud

Yes.

PP comes with instructions to give X scoops, and their website has some images of a bucket with loose powder/meal, so unlikely this one

They have two formats - loose buckets and PAKS. PAKS are as described - individually packed servings in little foil packets.

2 Likes

Okay, that it. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Thanks I never noticed they have paks

1 Like

Yes, Platinum Performance is offered in ready-to-feed packets. They have your horse’s name printed on it as well in case you have multiple horses.

I decided to try the Platinum Performance vitamin supplement. It comes in buckets or the paks.

My farrier made a comment that his wife uses Platinum Performance because “they actually put the ingredients in”, implying that some supplement manufacturers don’t. I didn’t ask him which cos. he was referring to, but have been wondering.

Lots of supplements have too little of various things even listed on the label. He may have meant that.

Otherwise to tell if a supplement was actually fraudulent you’d need to run lab tests.

But people also love to have suspicions and favorites etc based on rumor or guess.

1 Like

tons and tons of supplements put all their ingredients. He’s not wrong, but the implication that they are among the unique, is.

PP is a v/m supplement that has so little of all the things it has, that there are much more efficient products to use for either less money (for equally as little of the nutrients), or for the same-ish for a lot more of the nutrients that matter

I’ll never, ever recommend PP due to the high cost:benefit ratio

4 Likes

JB, tell us what supplements are more efficient and cost effective.

1 Like

A whole lot more context is needed to answer that.

This has 1.4gm lysine, where the average 1100lb horse needs around 10. But maybe you don’t need any more?

It has .382gm calcium, where the average 1100lb horse needs around 30. But maybe you don’t need more?

It has 300mg iron and 14mg copper. If it was the reverse of that, then that would be great. I mean, 1lb of a ration balancer at 500ppm iron is 227mg iron. Insufficient iron intake isn’t a thing, but insufficient copper intake is easily a thing, some hays don’t even provide half what that 1100lb horse needs (around 100mg) at 22lb a day. Triple Crown Balancer brings 136mg/lb to the table. Purina Enrich has 84mg, Nutrena Empower Balance has 113mg, for reference.

I linked to a list of quite a few v/m and forage balancer supplements to compare.

4 Likes

JB, a follow-up here: adding the amino acid supplement has done wonders for my mare. Her coat is beautiful, hooves great (she’s adjusting easily to being barefoot, so far), she has more energy, etc. She’s still a slightly gimpy, arthritic thing, but I’m happier with how she’s doing now. The High Point V/M is lower in amino acids than some of the others.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! You’re right on the HPG, and when I used it, I added Nutramino. I use Vermont Blend Pro now to take care of all that, without the additional things I don’t really need.

Sorry to bump this up again but does anyone have pelleted recommendations for picky eaters?

My horse was doing great on the Omneity pellets until she started outright refusing to touch them. I do mix them into a mash, apple juice, and other kinds of pellets she likes. Also she only gets 100g of the supplement per feeding. However, she has been flinging the mash everywhere to avoid eating a single Omneity pellet so I’m trying to find an alternative ASAP, she doesn’t get grain so this is the only thing that she eats for vitamin/minerals.

Edit: I ordered a sample of California Trace Plus + Vermont Blend Pro (doubt she’ll touch it due to texture but might as well try it). Also just reached out to get a sample of KIS Trace Pellets. Any other good ones I’m missing?

My somewhat picky eater happily eats the CA Trace Plus pellets, so there’s a good chance those will work.

She originally rejected the VB but I’m thinking of giving it another try, as that really is a better fit for me than CA Trace Plus. I’ve switched her carrier from alfalfa cubes to timothy pellets so it might be a better mix/cover for the VB.

I also discovered through trial and error that she prefers a drier mix than a soupier one. I used to make the alfalfa cubes really soupy and then add the v/m on top. Since I switched to the timothy pellets – and she only gets one cup each meal – I discovered that if I put boiling and not just hot water on top, I can use just barely enough to cover the pellets and then give them a minute, they fluff up but are just kinda damp. She definitely prefers that to a wetter texture. So maybe give that a try and see if she likes the mix either wetter or drier than what you’ve been doing.

3 Likes

Barn Bag–from the co. that makes Farrier’s Formula–is eaten without issue by my mare. Haven’t tried a great variety so don’t know how picky she might be, but that VMS might be one to try.

2 Likes