Unlimited access >

Voltaire Lexington vs Palm Beach

For those who have ridden in both, what are the main differences? I have a 18" 3AA Lexington on trial right now that I really like and my horse seems to love. I’ve never sat in a Palm Beach and I’m wondering if I need to try that before deciding.

I plan on using it in all 3 rings for now. Close contact, leg stability and freedom to move around are most important to me.

The lexington is a monoflap, the palm beach is a dual flap. I have an 18" 3AA palm Beach. If you plan on ever showing in hunters/equitation seriously, you should go for the palm Beach. Monoflaps are not “traditional”.

The Lexington may feel closer contact because of the single flap. The palm Beach comes with the " second skin" option, where the sweat flap is made from thin calfskin. I opted out of the second skin because I didn’t find there was that much of a difference. The second skin wears quicker than a normal sweatflap, and that wasn’t worth it to me.

Both are really nice saddles, and I would suggest riding in them both if you have a chance. I love the 3AA flap for xc, when I jack my stirrups up and need something extra forward.

If you’re using it for all three rings, I’d seriously consider the dual flap. And it’s much more versatile should you choose to sell it in a few years.

Other than the mono vs dual, did you feel like they both rode the same in terms of balance and positioning?

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;8583696]
The lexington is a monoflap, the palm beach is a dual flap. I have an 18" 3AA palm Beach. If you plan on ever showing in hunters/equitation seriously, you should go for the palm Beach. Monoflaps are not “traditional”.

The Lexington may feel closer contact because of the single flap. The palm Beach comes with the " second skin" option, where the sweat flap is made from thin calfskin. I opted out of the second skin because I didn’t find there was that much of a difference. The second skin wears quicker than a normal sweatflap, and that wasn’t worth it to me.

Both are really nice saddles, and I would suggest riding in them both if you have a chance. I love the 3AA flap for xc, when I jack my stirrups up and need something extra forward.[/QUOTE]

I had opted out of the second skin at first but then had to get my saddle re made and asked for the second skin. There isn’t much difference in the thickness of leather but rather the leather is “treated” and isn’t as stiff. It’s flimsy (for lack of a better word), soft, and easily forms around the horse. I definitely felt a difference. I ride multiple horses a day 5+ times a week and have seen no signs of wear yet. After a little over a year my saddle still looks brand new.