Unlimited access >

Waiting for test results

Tips on not going crazy?? Been having stomach pain since Sunday and today I got a CT scan done to rule out some scary things. Doctors office said they had the results but aren’t calling me until tomorrow (that was a huge mess) anyway how to not go nuts? I have so many bad things running through my head.

In my experience pain that comes on fast is generally something acute, and often enough not that serious. Cancer tends to sneak up on people and present as NQR or even nothing until it starts to slowly affect major structures. That’s why it’s so insidious. At the same time every doctor needs to rule that kind of thing out at the start . I doubt he really thinks it’s cancer but he needs to check that off the list first. My first guesses would be ulcers, parasites, bacterial things in the food poisoning line of things, etc.

2 Likes

Yes she said she was doing it out of an abundance of caution. It’s just not fun to hear a doctor talk about things like cancer or a twisted bowel or a blockage. My mind is playing worst case scenario

I had a ruptured small bowel…if they found something along those lines (blockage, twist), they’d have got you in the hospital post haste. At a minimum for observation and more likely for surgery.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

3 Likes

If they found ‘worst case’ you would have heard post haste.

I know hard to ignore but worrying won’t change the outcome of what you hear tomorrow. Hope it is nothing!

4 Likes

My procedure now for medical events is “I’ll start worrying when I need to worry. Until then, I’m not worrying.” It’s been surprisingly effective.

4 Likes

You were all right I worried for nothing.
the pain is from a right side ovarian cyst but the doctor believes it will go away on its own. We will recheck it in a month.

5 Likes

@Countrygirl18 thanks for the update. Like scribbler said, worry about the known, not the unknown. Worrying won’t fix or cure anything. IMO, it’s okay to feel a bit of fear when there might be something wrong but even then, too much fear runs your life and perhaps for nothing.

It does take some practice to learn to be able to take that deep breath, blow it out and wait until there is something to be fearful of or worried about. Trust that for any test/imaging study that if the techs see something that concerns them that a) they cannot and will not tell you and b) they’ll make sure your study gets prompt attention.

Hopefully this pain in the figurative neck will go away on its own!!

2 Likes

Ovarian cysts can be very painful I had one when I was 19 and recently , at 63 had an US, they could still see the scar on the ovary. I hope you feel better soon. Ibuprofen might help

1 Like

Fantasy news. I’m a worrier too so yep, BTDT.
”‹”‹