Unlimited access >

wall mount saddle racks

So have caved & am redoing current tack room. I know it has probably been done to death, but I can’t find exactly what I am looking for.

Currently I need to know what the most efficient spacing would be for wall mount saddle racks. My walls are 8’ wide, 10’ high. This is a really small 8’x8’ tack room. I have currently 9 saddles in there, in a variety of configurations. Would like to get them all on one wall. They are a mixture of western & english saddles. Need room for potentially 2 more. Height isn’t a problem as several of them aren’t used regularly & will be the ones put up high.

What is the recommended spacing, both between racks side to side & between racks vertically - top rail to to rail.

Haven’t decided yet if I’m going to make them or buy metal ones to bolt in. Depends on how many of each I could fit on that wall…

After we lost ALL of our saddle racks (and saddles!!) in a barn fire…I made new ones out of beveled 2x4’s mounted on a vertical 2x4. I think each “bar” was 20" front to back and spaced 12-14 inches apart. I rounded the edges of each bar, put “L” shaped braces in the joint and covered them with vinyl material. I put the western saddles on the bottom spaces and the lighter English ones higher up. I think making them is wayyyyy cheaper and you get more in a small space than buying saddle racks and trying to hang them.

I have one of those racks right now, was planning on cutting the bottom off & bolting it to the wall. The base takes up too much space, would like the foot space to put bins underneath. If the spacing is right I may just make all of them. Depends on how efficient I can make things. would like to get room for 11-12 saddles.

Mine you don’t need to cut the bottom off, the saddle arms are stuck in the pipe below.
It comes apart, you can use it hanging without using the bottom to stand them up.
It was shipped in parts you put together.

You may be able to do that with yours also?

Really, you can use the self standing somewhere else and make hanging ones out of wood.

Could you add a long 2" x 6" horizontally along the wall, with a spacer, maybe two of them, one high, one mid height, so you can hang racks like these from it?

https://www.sstack.com/stable_rackso…s/_/showAll/1/

One of those even holds five saddles.

Allow enough room between so saddles don’t snag each other while pulling them out or returning saddle to rack. You also want good air circulation to get leather dry between uses, prevent mold. A dehumidifier in the tack room helps a lot.

I don’t think the bottom comes off of mine, but I will check. I am leaning toward putting that elsewhere & just making wooden ones, (cost) but it depends on how much space needs to be between the racks…

does anyone have approximation of space between racks & laterally & vertically? Can I get more ease if I stagger the vertical rows?

I have no advice on spacing (I’ll go out and measure tomorrow afternoon), but I have those 2x4 with an eye bolt and hook racks… easy to use and easy to rearrange. Mind you it’s not for a western saddle… I like that the 2.4 piece fits up in the gullet of the saddle and does not press on the flocking anywhere. https://www.statelinetack.com/item/collapsible-saddle-holder/SLT310341/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=Cj0KCQiA05zhBRCMARIsACKDWjcO5Oipln43yAHEu9G4O7ihuCciAiADGfYV3C1rMiMXWE_iqrvvHVYaAh8KEALw_wcB

1 Like

Mine are set at 24" from saddle rack to saddle rack, which leaves about 5" between saddles at their narrowest, where you can pull one out without bumping on the one by it.

Vertically, you can measure the one you have and guess how much more or less you would like to have?

You may consider using the saddle rack you have for the heavier western saddles and the wall hanging wood ones for the English lighter saddles?
They could also be closer together than you need from western to western saddle, that are wider.
Western saddles are also considerably heavier.

1 Like

When I first moved my horses home I made one pasture area, then put in the next, seeded for the next and so forth. If you can fence in the 5 acres they’ll have plenty of grass to eat. They’ll kill off some areas true, but they won’t have nothing to eat if finances make you wait a long time to cut it in pieces.

were you posting to a different thread? If not you will need to explain to me what you are trying to convey w/ respect to saddle rack spacing…

2 Likes

I just measured mine. THey are on 24 inch centers, because they are secured to the studs in the walls. Verticly, mine are about 24 inches apart… I suggest you mount one at the highest level you can easily reach, then mount below it -leave a saddle onthe higher rack to figure out how much room you typically would need for saddle and perhaps pads beneath it. BTW I have one western saddle also mounted on a 24 inch center next to the dressage saddles and it does not interfere, although it is slightly offset verticaly.

thank you. do you think offsetting would buy me some space, or will I just get things tangled up?

Check out my first post…gives spacing dimensions.

I only have the one western saddle offset… it’s lower than the dressage saddle next to it. 24 inches seems to be fine for dressage saddles, but experiment with staggering them… might work. And I am a bad saddle mom - typically my stirrups are dangling (I use the single layer ones, so running them up is a PIA).

Update - thank you for all the suggestions. Finished & am pretty proud of myself.

went 6 racks along the edge of the back wall, the least used saddles & lightest on the top, because I need a ladder to get to them. Can do that for the once every other year those get used. The 4 most used are next to them. That leaves enough room on that wall to hang extra girths. Tack trunk below the girths on the next wall, w/ helments & chaps hanging above it. Long shelf on the length of that wall up high, w/ bins of the stuff that isn’t used often. 5 shelf industrial unit next to the tack trunk, blankets, therapy items, bathing stuff & show trunks on it. Across the way behind the door one of the schneider racks w/ all the headstalls & extra strap leather. tack hook w/ spurs hung on the wall next to it & shower rail w/ extra bits above the door.

All fits!. Looked like a clown car when I was taking stuff out of there, amazing what you can acquire over 30years. Amazing what I found when I started pulling things out. Now I can see what I have rather than just buying more because I had something that was buried that I forgot about (like my surcingle)!

1 Like

All that and no pictures?

Glad that you got everything organized to suit you.
Sounds like you did great with the available space.

i can’t get far enough away from anything to take a decent photo. Will try

Panorama mode

You never sent your vertical and horizontal spacing. I’m doing the same thing in a new tack

room and I’m very close on space so I would love to hear what you did