Unlimited access >

Wanted: Old School 17.5" Close Contact Saddle

I have an older Collegiate nicknamed “the banana peel.” Very close contact, no rolls whatsoever. It doesn’t fit any of my current horses so I do need to list it.

OP, I won’t try to dissuade you from buying such a saddle…but please shop very carefully and pay a bargain-basement price. You may love the feel for yourself as a rider, but the resale on plain-flapped saddles is absolutely the pits. That’s not just because of rider preferences; it’s also because these plain-flapped saddles tend to sport older saddle-fitting technologies that don’t jive with contemporary horses. Narrow trees, thin gullet channels down the center, and ancient foam panels that have often gone lumpy/bumpy/rock hard are the norm. You may find yourself in a few months with a saddle that doesn’t fit your chosen mounts, sharking around threads just like this trying to land a buyer. :wink: (And yes, I was around in the 90s. I remember when we used to think these saddles fit every horse. We also used to think that cranky horses were just cranky and ulcers were nonsense, that there was no such thing as too much deworming, and that you shouldn’t use cold water to cool off an overheated horse.)

That said, follow your bliss. If you’re comfortable sinking a few hundred bucks into a saddle that may never resell, or may resell only at bargain basement prices, then go for it. Or if you like, treat yo’ self to a Devoucoux Oldaras with a plain flap. Some trainer up in Canada went bananas for plain flaps a few years ago, and he + his clients bought a whole slew of them. I see them all the time now, on the used market, for $1500-$2000. They’re mostly 18’s, but a lot of people size up 1/2" in the French saddle anyway.
http://www.farmhousetack.com/devoucoux-oldara-18-close-contact-used-saddle/

Otherwise, consider the virtues of finding a minimalist saddle that has no block under the flap but does have a basic knee pad on the outside. Those are much easier to resell than a plain-flapped saddle, and it’s not that different bulk-wise than a plain flap + a pencil k nee roll. If you’re really committed to Crosby, the Crosby Centennial is still a reasonably hot seller. Buy one of those and un-stitch the knee block under the flap, and voila. The Bates Caprilli Close Contact is another possibility; it has velcro knee blocks that are easily removed and an adjustable gullet, which is a nice bonus feature for horseless riders or people returning to the sport. There’s other options out there too, like the Northrun Ashland.