Unlimited access >

Wanted: Old School 17.5" Close Contact Saddle

I could really use some help. I have come back to horses after a decade long hiatus and am in need of a new saddle. My old saddle is a 16.5" plain flap Crosby Equilibrium. I am on the hunt for at 17.5" plain flap Crosby Equilibrium or other plain flap close contact saddle. I do not want anything more than a pencil knee roll.

I have tried Middleburg Tack Exchange, The Tack Box in Middleburg, Ebay, Craigslist, & random out of VAbtack shops that have consignments. I am beginning to think that word of mouth might expedite my quest.

Does anyone have a saddle such as this that they would like to part with? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance!

Try those english tack trader groups or english saddles for sale groups. There are usually quite a few for cheap. Also post an ISO and they will come to you!

Try Rick’s Heritage Saddlery: http://www.saddlesource.com/close-contact--nj-.html . They have a couple of Crosby PDN’s that might work. One’s a medium, and one is a wide. Happy hunting!:slight_smile:

Call Mike Corcoran : 940-465-4599
He is my saddle fitter. He has my saddle which is just what you are looking for I think. Nice to know their are more of us out there lol
It does not fit my new horse and that is why I am parting with it.

THANK YOU for such prompt and helpful replies!

I was just on eBay and I think I saw some old plain flap Crosbys, maybe Stubbens.

[QUOTE=MAJ Zen;8293322]
I could really use some help. I have come back to horses after a decade long hiatus and am in need of a new saddle. My old saddle is a 16.5" plain flap Crosby Equilibrium. I am on the hunt for at 17.5" plain flap Crosby Equilibrium or other plain flap close contact saddle. I do not want anything more than a pencil knee roll.

I have tried Middleburg Tack Exchange, The Tack Box in Middleburg, Ebay, Craigslist, & random out of VAbtack shops that have consignments. I am beginning to think that word of mouth might expedite my quest.

Does anyone have a saddle such as this that they would like to part with? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I have one but it’s made by Trump I think. The seat is HARD but for jumping it’s great.

[QUOTE=MAJ Zen;8293447]
THANK YOU for such prompt and helpful replies![/QUOTE]

Would an 18" County ProFit work? 17.5 " County Stabilizer?

I have a nearly mint condition 17.5" Crump Prix de Saute that doesn’t quite fit me. It’s about as barebones as it gets. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TimelyImpulse;8293532]
Would an 18" County ProFit work? 17.5 " County Stabilizer?[/QUOTE]

Every since I missed on a steal of a deal ProFit, I’ve been on the hunt for one for kinda cheap to try. Are they good saddles? How do they ride?

I have seen several on ebay and kijiji. However, when I first came back to riding (quite a while back now), I hated the new saddles and wanted my Crosby PDN back something fierce. However, if you haven’t, give the newer saddles a bit of time. At first they made me nervous because I felt I couldn’t move in them but now…you they will need to pry my saddle (French, a bit deep, with knee rolls and thigh blocks) out of my cold dead hands. The trick is getting one that puts you in the sweet spot. Either way, welcome back to riding :slight_smile:

I have the 17.5 PDN, but I love it to much to sell it. I got it new in '72, and it is still in very good condition.

In addition to investigating others’ suggestions, keep checking ebay! I recently was on a quest for a plain, old-school, no padding/no rolls close contact with a 17.5 inch seat. I checked ebay daily for a couple of weeks, eventually what I was looking for showed up, and I got a great deal on it.

I just checked and currently there are several 17.5 inch Crosby Prix de Nations plain flaps that may interest you.

[QUOTE=Belmont;8293743]
Every since I missed on a steal of a deal ProFit, I’ve been on the hunt for one for kinda cheap to try. Are they good saddles? How do they ride?[/QUOTE]

I think they are great saddles. To me, they ride between the Stabilizer and Conquest, the balance is great for galloping. I picked this one up to fit a constantly changing TB, and it fit him great, but me, not so good, as my legs are short and stumpy. It’s a forward flap, 18", No 2 tree. I rode it anyway, but have no need for it now.

OP, I sent you a PM.

I think 18" is a bit too big. Have never tried a County Stabilizer. Crosby’s seem to fit me the best.

[QUOTE=TimelyImpulse;8293532]
Would an 18" County ProFit work? 17.5 " County Stabilizer?[/QUOTE]

And that is why I am on the hunt for a saddle similar to this! I have two that are in great condition, but I was a late bloomer and am in need of a larger saddle for my voluptuous derriere.

[QUOTE=KathyR;8294043]
I have the 17.5 PDN, but I love it to much to sell it. I got it new in '72, and it is still in very good condition.[/QUOTE]

And that is why I am on the hunt for a saddle similar to this! I have two that are in great condition, but I was a late bloomer and am in need of a larger saddle for my voluptuous derriere.

[QUOTE=KathyR;8294043]
I have the 17.5 PDN, but I love it to much to sell it. I got it new in '72, and it is still in very good condition.[/QUOTE]

What width tree are you looking for? I have a Hermes Steinkraus, 1982 model.

I have a smaller one but it is a Pessoa with an adjustable tree, either 16 or 16 1/2. I was going to put it out on FB soon.