Unlimited access >

Wanting to find an OTTB for eventing in CA

Hi all. I am wanting to find a 3-4 year old filly. Mature to about 16.2 hands. Nice conformation, Level headed. I am wondering if anyone could point me toward places I could look. I am closest to So CA race tracks (Las Alamitos, Santa Anita). Appreciate any leads that folks might provide. Thank you!

Contact Sarah at Equine Racers. She gets new ones in all the time (and they go fast). Works out of Los Alamitos.

Go to the back gate at any racetrack local to you, and post a “Wanted” advertisement, if you want to deal directly with an owner and/or trainer. But just a warning if you do… it’s not like buying a horse from a dealer (“rescue”), or from a private “riding horse” seller. There are no guarantees, of anything, horse usually sells “as is”. If the horse is adequately sound, you may be able to watch an exercise rider trot and canter the horse around the track, you would offer to pay the rider’s regular riding fee for that. Racetrack vets normally will not do “pre-purchase” exams for people who are not race trainers. They MAY scan a tendon for you, or do an xray for your vet to examine. It depends. Vets who are not licensed by the racing commission may not do work at the track.

Early in the racing season, there are few horses available for sale- people still have hope that problems will be overcome, and that the horse will eventually show the talent that the owner hopes they have for racing. Horses come available for purchase when all hope of becoming a racehorse is lost, due to injury or continual defeat in competition, usually later in the year.

1 Like

Thanks. I do have a friend who has a horse in training at Los Alamitos. Maybe I can go through his trainer. Will also contact Sarah of equine racers.

http://www.equineracers.com/

She’s got some available on her website right now.