Unlimited access >

War Chant has passed

He was such a gorgeous horse and full of talent. I’d never heard of a stallion being used as a trainer for breed handlers. Most interesting. http://maestro-trk.bloodhorse.com/trk/click?ref=zqoqmnmb8_1-8834x35e957x08306&

1 Like

He was absolutely stunning! @Aussie_2020 you’ll have to let us know what his get are doing as sporthorses!

Awww. I got to see him in person when he ran second in the Santa Anita Derby—we were friends with the connections of a horse in a stakes race undercard, so we got to see all the horses up close. Always loved this pic I snapped of War Chant, even if my inkjet printer washed out the colors. I thought he was the best looking horse of the day by far. End of an era for me.

9 Likes

I am sorry to hear of his passing, such a beautiful horse.
It is rather touching that because of his professional demeanor in the breeding shed instead of just being retired completely in old age, he got to get out and show people how its done, on occasion.

I have a grandson of his, out of Here Comes Amelia (War Chant x Amelia Bearheart). Also has seriously great looks—same dark bay and his expression looks identical to the one in the pic above. My guy is by Malibu Moon, so I was reading about War Chant and Malibu Moon and laughed at the descriptions of their temperaments. “Quirky devil” of War Chant and (Malibu Moon) “He likes to rear up and play,” Pons said. “He was like one of those dogs that jumps up on the sofa. You hit him with the newspaper and he jumps back up on the sofa.”

Yep. My guy has all that. He can be a piece of work!

1 Like