Unlimited access >

Warmblood Stallion Suggestion for Arabian Mare 2022

I have a lovely Arabian mare with old endurance lines, and I’m looking to add height and scope to produce a warmblood jumper. Mostly height, as she’s quite small at 149cm. Everything else, she’s got.

I realize height tends to come from the dam, hers was 160cm and produced 3 other foals at 155, 160, and 161. Her sire was 152.

Any suggestions with frozen for the US?

Here’s a shot of her from this summer:

Many thanks!

Cevin Z or Colman would be worth a look.

if papers are a thing for you, see which registry will accept your gal (she looksnice) and search within their roster of accepted stallions.

Thank you both, I’ll check out Colman and Cevin. She’s approved Shagya (refiner for Warmbloods) so there are a few registries I can use, depending on the stallion. I’m mostly hoping to stack the deck height wise and figure out the rest accordingly.

Based on this forum, I was looking also at Dominator Z. Not sure how his foals have turned out. I’m starting to go through the KWPN database and others to see what I can find out there, it’s been a challenge because the consensus seems to be, for stallions with enough data, that height comes from the dam :joy:

1 Like

LOL, there is no telling. we had a rather tall mare throw a foal that topped around pony height, and vice versa.
Good luck!

Unfortunately, Dominator Z has been sold out for a long time and last I heard there wasn’t likely to be any available in NA next season either.

I think height mainly comes from the mare, but maybe Grandorado or Jardonnay would be other options to add height. Not sure about how they cross with really bloody mares, unlike Cevin Z and Colman who are proven to cross very well with blood mares, both are young, but I’ve heard second hand that they are throwing pretty big. Maybe Jaguar Mail? You should have some SF registry options, right? Maybe check in with the folks at New Normandy Farm and see what they suggest. I’ve heard I’m Special de Muze adds height but I’ve seen a few not so big ones by him so I’m not sure about that.

Check out breeding her to a Trakehner. American Trakehner Association welcomes nice Arabian blood.

http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/app/list_active.asp

3 Likes

Thanks guys this is super helpful! I’m curious, has anyone seen the linear description on Cancara from the Holsteiner verband? I think I’m reading it correctly, does this say that his offspring are larger than the verband average while the mares bred to him are smaller than the average?

Hi, I’ve been fairly successful breeding WB/Arabians. For your wish list I would look at Lord Adonis. He’s a Lordanos son and is producing super offspring with size. I’ve used him twice (not with an Arabian) and both foals are super easy and tall! The mare is 16h and my 2yo is currently 16.2. I’ve seen many of his foals and he’s consistently adding size.

1 Like

Just a suggestion, have a look at Selle Francais as the French produce lovely anglo-arabs and the SF has some Arab in the mix. They tend to be quite tall on the whole.

I like you mare very much.

I was just being nosey because I own a WB x Arab. But I stayed to say I love your mare. :heart_eyes:

My girl is by a HEAVY, old style Selle Francais/Hanoverian stallion (approved AWS :confused:) out of a race-bred Arab mare with a lot of Polish blood. If I were going to repeat the cross, I’d want several generations of more refined blood behind the stallion. My mare is wonderful and athletic and receives plenty of high marks, but she inhereited a bit of a mishmash of refined and heavy parts from her light Arab dam and chonker sire. Even though she is double registered AWS and half Arab, I wish she was fully papered through a “better” registry, too, for future breeding purposes. At the time she was bred, I thought AWS would establish itself as a respectable registry over the years, but instead it has flamed out. My mare is old enough now that breeding probably won’t ever happen, but it’s extra insurance for any horse IMO.

1 Like