Unlimited access >

Warning...my experience with Airdance Farm and Lisa Dunckley

Yes…Rate my pro is my next stop, and yes…total documentation…I am not the type of person to make comments like this unless I have been pushed beyond what is rational and believable…and have done what I can to collect…

I breed Holsteiners and Belgian Warmbloods and am a very responsible breeder…WHEN I spoke with Lisa Dunckley she definitely can talk to talk.and was very believable…I am in NO way trying to make ANY commentary on any other people that breed or sell horses…ONLY HER…

I am friends with a friend of hers and she does not own the property.

[QUOTE=jjshorse;6894459]
I am friends with a friend of hers and she does not own the property.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, she does not own the property, she is the property manager. From what I understand (and remember when I was trying to find out who exactly owns the property), the land is leased from county, or maybe the city, but she is not the owner. It is a “retirement facility”, most of the boarders’ money goes to feeding Lisa’s own horses. There are former boarders who actually had a little “network”, getting into the hay to feed each other’s horses when they could, if there was hay. Worthy Opponent used to be boarded out there, and his owner has since moved him, why I don’t know.

Yes…I am not sure what happens to all of the money she gets when she sells horses, as she has sold many as seen on her photo website…and so many people have messaged about the hay and feeding situation…

[QUOTE=HickoryHill;6894156]
Have you tried to put a lien on her property? That will sometimes entice people to settle.[/QUOTE]

She doesn’t own the property; she leases it.

If she leases it from the city or county, is there any recourse through them ?
Not that the city/county would cover the judgement amount, but that they know LD (the lessee) has outstanding financial judgements ?

Not a lawyer or anything, more just curious for those in the know.

She must own “property” - like other horses she is selling, tack, trailers, etc? Can one go after that “property”?

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. There are many more good breeders then bad ones out there.

[QUOTE=mzm farm;6895443]

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. There are many more good breeders then bad ones out there.[/QUOTE]

After my experience here in California, not in this state! I don’t plan to be shopping for a new horse for quite a while, but next time it will be from personal friends or outside the state of California. Something about this state spawns nuts and crooks in this business.

My experince with Airdance Farm and Lisa Dunckley, Chapter 1

A couple of years ago, Lisa and I had a contract with emails exchanged. Four of my horses would go to her place, she would advertise and get them sold. Minimum return to me was a small amount, $1800.00 per horse. However, if she sold them for more, she would deduct expenses and give me the rest. All were 2 years plus, all broke, but needed some current work. They were registered with either the AQHA/AWR/AWA. I trusted her with their papers. Dumb me. When times were good these sporthorses would have brought a minimum of 5K each. However, knowing the difficult financial times, I just wanted them to have good homes where they would be appreciated. I bred them, birthed them, and did their training up to 2 years the had a professional continue. They were family and I thought I was putting them into good hands at a working barn.

Months later, when I asked for an accounting, Lisa told me that she “gave them away” and didn’t have any money to repay me.

I found out later from another trainer, a source that I trust, the horses were all sold within 1 1/2 months and a couple for really good prices. I asked Lisa and she refused to answer my emails or phone calls. My loss at the bare minimum is of $7,500.00.

She is a con-artist, a liar, a cheat and a thief and has been getting away with it for years. I don’t live in the area, or I would have done a lot more to recover some of what was owed to me. It’s affected me to the point that my trust in people has been shaken. Unfortunately, she is one of the sites in Ca for the annual Oldenburg Inspections. I will never step foot on her property again. That means I must go anywhere the inspections are being held no matter how far the distance.

Getting a win in court is great, except,…how can you collect? You can put a lien on the house (if she owns it) and wait for years to see, if ,when it’s sold, the Title Company will honor your lien. I think the best thing all of her victims can do is start talking to each other and then talk with the Oldenburg Registry and the Hanoverian Registry. Threaten not to show up for any of Airdance shows in the future. I can’t imagine that the people in charge would continue having inspections at a farm with such a criminal association. Take out ads in the local newspaper. The people that are boarding there are her next victims. They need to be warned. If it’s the truth, it’s not slander. I’ll be happy to jump on the bandwagon with you and her other victims. It isn’t about ruining her reputation. She doesn’t have a good reputation to begin with. We would advise potential victims by an “early warning” notification to break ties with her before they become the next victims.

Ruth

2 Likes

ISR/Oldenburg inspection is scheduled for September 20. Sorry to hear they are unintentionally involved. :frowning:

Does she really have Comet Shine and Noble Houston? Looks like the webpage hasn’t been updated in a while.

I visited the farm a few months ago as I live close by. What sad, sad place. Somehow she managed to fund installation of a new arena recently so there is money somewhere.

This is Jill Burnell all over again. She was SUPER critical of JB when I visited. As if.

Wasn’t aware that Comet Shine had passed. I’m out of the loop. But Noble Houston is from MI. He had a decent price tag on him when he was for sale. Did she buy him or lease him?

Wow…

I spoke to her when I moved to the East Bay for boarding for my mare. Thankfully, when she heard I drove, she ignored me like most boarding places do with driving horses. Looks like I dodged a huge bullet.

However, I will say, there are not a lot of places here I would board a horse. All of them that I visited gave me very bad vibes. My solution? I bought my own property…

It seems that Airdance/LD posts on COTH ?
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?341523-Sporthorse-TB-Stallions-in-CA

See post #13 (complaint) and post #16 (response)

[QUOTE=Perfect Pony;6895457]
After my experience here in California, not in this state! I don’t plan to be shopping for a new horse for quite a while, but next time it will be from personal friends or outside the state of California. Something about this state spawns nuts and crooks in this business.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure there are honest people in CA as well as nuts/fraudsters/crooks in other states, but CA has some recent doozies:

Plus this one.

The thing that baffles me is how long they manage to stay in business / keep burning people. There are some gifted con artists to be sure :eek:

[QUOTE=ldaziens;6895547]
I’m sure there are honest people in CA as well as nuts/fraudsters/crooks in other states, but CA has some recent doozies:

Plus this one.

The thing that baffles me is how long they manage to stay in business / keep burning people. There are some gifted con artists to be sure :eek:[/QUOTE]

You forgot Don Slaughter/Equisport International. :yes:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?368047-Don-Slaughter-Equisport-International&highlight=Don+Slaughter

[QUOTE=skydy;6895554]
You forgot Don Slaughter/Equisport International. :yes:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?368047-Don-Slaughter-Equisport-International&highlight=Don+Slaughter[/QUOTE]

What happened to him? He had some kind of German Royalty / Baron connection, right?

The effort they put into scamming people is what gets me. IMO, the lying and deceit requires exponentially more effort than just being honest and doing the right thing. If you tell the truth, there is no elaborate story to “keep straight”.

Plus, I would think the stress of knowing that there are tons of angry people that you have taken advantage of - knowing that at any second the “gig is going to be up” would just be constant & unbearable. It is just amazing to me, because there is NEVER any shame w/ these people - no conscious. So weird and so sad for the victims - human & horse.

At least by discussing these people online, when potential victims Google, they will get an eyeful - hopefully!

1 Like

[QUOTE=ldaziens;6895547]

Plus this one.

The thing that baffles me is how long they manage to stay in business / keep burning people. There are some gifted con artists to be sure :eek:[/QUOTE]

There are some very nice people in California, but the majority of “breeders” here are pretty crazy/bad with horsemanship that would make most on here shudder. Several are places that spoken of highly on these boards only because of their online facade. I have gone to visit places with pretty locally famous stallions that made me very sad in person. Many with too many sad looking mares and foals standing around in small dry lots. Owners trying to feed me a load of BS.

I would buy another pony from goodpony, or Rosewood Connemaras. I would buy a horse from Mystic Oak Ranch (although I have not been there I have heard good things about her personally). clint has a couple mares and a personal operation, I’d buy a horse from her. When I win the lottery maybe I’ll buy a pony from honeylips :wink: Those are people in CA I know are good people and I thought I should call them out so they don’t think I think all people in CA are nuts!

1 Like