Unlimited access >

Was my horse a carriage or cart horse?

I purchased a horse that is half morgan and half quarter horse. I’m thinking now she might have been a carriage or a cart horse at one time. I purchased her from someone that rescued her and doesn’t know her past. thank you in advance

If you don’t know start from the beginning. Don’t just attach to a cart or carriage.

Hard to tell if a horse drives without giving her a try wearing harness, blinder bridle. Then going thru the training steps to allow judging the responses she give you. Or having a skilled driving horse trainer evaluate her for you.

Sure don’t recommend harnessing and hitching a vehicle to a horse you don’t know! That is a recipe for disaster!!

4 Likes

I got one of my ponies from a rescue and didn’t know any background. So as advised above, I started training him to drive from scratch. It went very quickly, so I think he had driven before. I was thrilled as he turned out to be pretty bombproof (although he was also lazy). We didn’t show and I wasn’t trying to set any speed records, so lazy was just fine.

Rebecca

2 Likes

You can always ground drive her with 2 lunge lines attached to bridle and run through stirrups. Add PVC shafts. Her reaction to that would probably tell you a lot about how much she knows. And that would be cheaper to do before purchasing any driving harness, equipment.

Let us know!