Unlimited access >

Wash rack drain question

Has anyone built a wash rack with a plumbing waste line debris screen/basket that they really like and can share? The wash rack I’m asking for will have a center drain that feeds into a septic system. I’m not looking for wash rack or septic design advice, just trying to find something to go under the (removable) drain grate to catch that gross stuff and allow it to be dumped rather than clog the drain. Thanks for any help!

You say you don’t want advice on what you propose to do, other than how to add a grate to filter what goes into the drain.
Well, advice doesn’t work like that, there are many reading posts, so advice is generally all purpose, some times a warning to others intending what a poster wants to do is part of what is necessary, even if not desired by the poster asking, for the safety of others that may consider similar situations.

Sorry, but draining a horse washroom into a septic tank in general use is generally not a good idea, according to every septic tank installer.
Why?
The volume and contaminants tend to overwhelm those systems and they fail long before others may.
Every barn I have been in had dedicated drains for wash rooms, many were not going into septic systems but drained directly somewhere outside, as grey water type drains.
If going into a septic tank, they were pumped out very often, not drained into leach fields.

We had grates over the drains, some were a good 18" to 24" round covers with a settling space for solids directly under it, then a smaller holed grate over the large pipe drain itself.
A few were long narrow metal grates on the back of the washroom.
Every so often we would pull that large grate and scoop out the smaller rocks and gravel and other that had accumulated in there.

You can get those grates from pump supply companies, try those that sell to plumbers in your area, they will find what you need, your plumber should know all this.

Our wash rack drains out the back wall of the room into a large rock filled french drain, that if it ever gets full would just run out.
We have a dedicated manure cart, basket and plastic pitchfork with small tines by there for the solids, so those are not washed out.

3 Likes

we run our wash area’s runoff into a French drain system just made inexpensively

I guess we could have extended to the drain to our city sewer line since we are paying sewage fees on the water we use on the horses

Like Bluey has noted it is not in the best interest of your septic system to connect to that

2 Likes

A removable sediment basket is an available features on most floor drains. You can also install a solid interceptor downstream, before the septic tank (and before any lines from a toilet enters the stream).

(I agree with the above advice that this will not be good for your septic tank.)

Thanks Bluey. When I said I wasn’t looking for advice on ‘septic design’, it was in the larger sense. I guess I should have said ‘drainage design’. That’s been addressed by professionals and I feel like we’re in good shape. The plumber also has thoughts on sediment filters/baskets, but I was hoping someone here has experience with one and can give me a specific manufacturer and model that they’re familiar with - as in “Acme model #XXX works well with our 8” grate and 4" drain pipe"… It’s not the manure that’s the main issue - since most people do clean that up - it’s the fine stuff like hair and mud that wash down the drain. At my current barn we have a basic 1/4" hardware cloth circle placed under the grate and over the clean out. It’s not idea and gets clogged up with gunk all the time. It’s made me very aware of how much stuff would otherwise wash down the drain.

here is pdf file showing the construction of wash bays with provision for slit separation

file:///C:/Users/Cecil/Downloads/AP_Guidelines_for_the_design_and_operation_of_washdown_bays.pdf

@clanter, I can not open your PDF file and I would love to see it. Can you edit it so it works.

I am wondering if it is what I was thinking.

Provide a catch basin situation where the outlet is above the bottom of the basin, so sediment is left there.
For this to work, well for anything that does this to work, you will have to clean it out regularly. Otherwise the sediment just moves along down the pipe.

lets see if this works

https://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/downloads/file/2932/guidelines_for_the_design_and_operation_of_wash_down_bays

appears to

edit to add:

That’s been addressed by professionals and I feel like we’re in good shape. The plumber also has thoughts on sediment filters/baskets, but I was hoping someone here has experience with one

My concerns are supposed professionals telling you to do something but do not know how to do worries me. I worked on many government projects under the Corps of Engineers and FAA and many of the projects had critical design errors. These were very high dollar projects that the professionals screwed up…one cost $5M to correct.

My suggestion is since you are paying these professionals that they provide a letter of indemnity and a bond to insure your project is completed as desired

1 Like

Having worked with many plumbing contractors… I feel the same way about this as @clanter does.

The link worked. Thank you.
That detail is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Edit to add - I knew a plumbing contractor that did not realize how a non-freeze yard hydrant worked (it was not the type of plumbing work he did), and was replacing one because ‘water leaked out the bottom when you shut it off’. (No, this was not a broken pipe leaking at the bottom.)

I really appreciate everyone’s concerns and helpful tips, but I didn’t think I’d need to give all the project details… This small barn is part of a much larger project. There are plenty of consultants and professionals making sure things go well with the environment and municipality. I’m just looking for a way to limit sediment in waste water from the wash rack with the addition of a drain basket or other type of interceptor. I have a few options and was hoping someone here had experience using something similar. Thanks!

Most of the municipalities I have worked with like the catch basin style that is in the link that Clanter posted and I tried to explain. It requires you to clean it regularly, but if the basin is sized appropriately it is an easy clean.

They sell solid interceptors, something you can buy and install on the pipe. All the brands I deal with (for my job) are probably more than you need. I am guessing your contractors know of something sized for your situation.

2 Likes