Unlimited access >

Wasp nests under gooseneck nose

Apologies if this has been addressed before. My search didn’t have any results.

I board and am assigned a parking spot for my trailer (3 horse GN). I do not use it that often, and I’m struggling with wasps building multiple nests under the nose of the gooseneck. I keep a wasp spray handy, but I would rather not have to deal with this in the first place. Is there anything I can do to prevent or deter the nests?

I say spray away! There’s no way that I know off to deter them. And check inside the trailer too. I have a stock/combo Exiss and they build inside the horse compartment too.

One spring I had paper wasps starting up in the doors of my pickup truck that was parked for the winter. I think you just have to keep knocking them off. You might try hanging a fake wasp nest to discourage them. It’s a thing, garden stores have them.

Wasps are most active about now.

I keep a spray bottle of water and peppermint oil handy and spray the inside of my trailer and anywhere else wasps are interested. Helps keep them away and smells good.

2 Likes

Check your spare too!
I had the unfortunate surprise of discovering wasps inside mine when I went to hitch!
I use an organic - largely peppermint oil - spray because I don’t want poison near the horse compartment. Or me.

If you’re ever in a jam, WD-40 drops wasps right out of the air. The heavy oil coats their wings. Drops them better than wasp spray. Then, you just squish them with your shoe. Plus, WD-40 might be nice for the trailer.

Since it’s a continuing issue, you could try the…dum, dum, DUMMMM…

Waspinator. Seriously. It’s a giant fake wasp nest to hang up in places where wasps want to build nests. It’s supposed to tell them that this area is already claimed. Might scare off people, too, lol!

I’ve had them build nests in the mirrors on my truck, as well! And, under the hitch of a two horse. Trying to hook up your trailer can be a real adventure!

1 Like

I keep all the windows shut when the trailer is not in use, so I have not had problems with nests inside fortunately!

If I were to periodically spray the surfaces under the nose with the water/peppermint oil, would that prevent the nests?

I find it works to keep an eye out and knock the nests off when they are tiny. I do this on my deck. After a couple tries they leave for the year.

It’s worth a try. Works for me. First clear them out and get it clean. This thread reminded me to go spray my trailer again. Do it weekly and please report back. I do that from spring to summer and I’ve yet to find a nest. Oh, also be sure to get the roof vents.

I even soaked cotton balls in peppermint oil where I had mice coming into my bathroom cabinet and have yet to see any droppings and that was a year ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the WD40 idea - so much safer than spraying Wasp Killer.