Unlimited access >

Watching in US - Cable Cutters Unite!

I signed up for Sling ($10 trial) and then installed the NBC Sports app on my Roku TV. Successfully watched day 1 of Dressage and then the NBC app developed some sort of issue. Will have to try to sort it out later. If you took advantage of the $10 trial month, don’t forget to create a reminder to cancel it before you get billed $40 for the next month :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out if Sling would be a good option for my parents who really want to watch other sports then gymnastics, swimming and track.

They have two tv’s one is a Sony smart tv which from what I can tell they can watch Amazon prime, Netflix, and Hulu on (they do not subscribe to Hulu), and the other tv is not smart tv which they have their Chromecast device attached to.

It sounds like if I get the Sling that they would have to watch on their computers and couldn’t watch on their tv’s.

Or is there a way I can put Sling on their smart tv?

There should be an option to install other apps on their smart tv. I had to install NBC Sports app on my Roku TV to watch, but didn’t need to install the Sling app. I’m not sure if you can get all of the replays / live action through Sling or not. I also follow road bike racing so already had the NBC Sports app installed to watch the Tour de France.

I can’t find an option… It might just be too old of a smart tv.

I usually can figure these things out, but I am lost…

Also anyone else find the NBC’s Olympic website confusing and unhelpful? I’m looking at the upcoming schedule for their different NBC stations and all they say is Olympics which not helpful I want to know what sport they are going to show.

Is this of any help? I know nothing about Chromecast, but it looks useful. https://streamingtrick.com/sling-tv-on-chromecast/

1 Like

The NBC Olympics app was somewhat helpful. At least it gave the sports but you had to scroll around to find stuff. The Sling website unhelpfully brought up All The Sports when i did a search for equestrian, but at least they were sorted by date.

1 Like

yes there is a way, but you have to be somewhat tech savvy to get it. I had the dish guy practically hold my hand to set it up but even I got it done. Streaming onto tv is a bit of a pita but it is do able and well worth it! and I have a non smart tv

1 Like

Well according to Sling’s “check my internet speed” my parents do not have a fast enough internet Sling. Only 4.33Mpbs.

Larksmom while my parents have Chromecast them never use it; they aren’t that tech savvy. Maybe I’ll sign them up for Hulu live; it’s more expensive, but I they should be able to watch hulu live on their smart tv.

But the point of this thread is some of us don’t have cable, either by choice or because there isn’t cable available on our gravel roads…

This may be the case for me as well. I just tested at 4.79.

1 Like

I’m required to buy a basic package (which I never watch) with my broadband, and it doesn’t allow me to access the channel with the equestrian sports. I have the gymnastics replay on in the background right now. It’s frustrating, because I almost never watch television EXCEPT for horse stuff. I stream everything else I watch, like films or television.

I wish NBC would just have an app to access the entire Olympics on-demand for, like, a month on my phone or tablet. I’d happily pay a premium for that.

2 Likes

Pay a very small subscription to a VPN service - then you can unblock TV livestreaming from any country with free streaming websites ie; BBC, CBC. I have a smart TV hooked up to my computer, playing livestream from my browser.

1 Like

This is what I’ve been doing. I downloaded the app TunnelBear on to my phone (cost $10 for a month) then I could access live streaming from other countries like CBC.ca .

I pay $$ for a business account (we have a home office) with my cable company and couldn’t log in to NBC because apparently it’s not available to those with business accounts. Ridiculous.

Luckily it was easy to watch live streams with the vpn TunnelBear app and I’m thankful other countries allow people to watch it for free!

1 Like

Have you found an English language livestream that you like? I liked the CBC replay of Day 1 but then they did not show Day 2. I then watched the French Canadian coverage on Day 2 but my French is rusty, though perhaps I should stick with it and improve, lol.

I watched CBC for day 1 and it was in English. For Day 2 I watched a Japanese live stream and it was surprisingly also in English. I plan to watch the special and freestyle on CBC so we shall see…

1 Like

Thanks for this tip! I just did this and it seems to be working okay for now.

1 Like

I have Hulu tive, which works to sign into the NBCOlympics site to watch events live. I feel like this is the first year that I’ve had to have some kind of paid service to watch obscure events in their entirety - but I still had expensive cable in 2016, so maybe that was part of the difference.

I was prepared to have to use a HDMI cable from my laptop to watch equestrian stuff on my larger screen TV but ran into a glitch - other than my actual work laptop (I own the company and can do whatever I want with it…), I think due to quality of the video stream, I literally could not get either of my older laptops to play the video either at all or not freeze at an annoying frequency. I’m talking like every 5 seconds or so.

I have one more laptop that I inherited from my late uncle, but the workaround for the password that none of us were ever able to figure out got blown away the last time I used it and reverted back to the one I don’t know. I, however, did not discover this until I was working on setting it up last night. So, sitting at my desk at 5AM to watch the team finals this morning.

ETA - the above is why you should not wait until you want to watch something on a different platform. I had searched a bit on my Firestick for a NBC option other than Peacock, which they’ve been shoving down our throats for months - apparently all I needed to do was actually find the NBC SPORTS app in the list and log into it with my HULU credentials. Ugh. At least the rest of the early morning stuff can be watched from the comfort of my living room sofa.

I have 2 ways that are working now.

1. (Cheating) I got my dad’s cable log in and saved it on my phone so I can watch on the NBC Sports App whenever I want.

2. We added the “Equestrian” events part of the olympics onto our YouTube Tv Library. So I can watch the broadcast//highlights version whenever I want. Tip Better commentary on the App FYI.

Em

1 Like

FYI this worked for me.
I use roku (no fee, but you need to purchase a roku unit … perhaps doing the below in a laptop will work ).
I signed up for the $10 SLING TV trial
I added NBC sports app to my roku
The NBC sport app on roku gave me a code and website to visit.
I punched in that I use a roku, I then punched in the given code… the website then asks for my TV provider, I scrolled down and clicked on Sling TV… the website then asks for me to enter my sling TV email address and Pass word.

I am currrently watching a replay of the dressage grand prix special from earlier today

Good luck!

1 Like

I did the same, using Hulu. Pretty amazing to be able to play back in it’s entirety. Lucinda Greens commentary is lovely. Now, if I can figure out how to jump forward without messing up the sound…overall small issue. Adding if you have a smart TV that doesn’t need Roku you can download the NBC Sports app directly on your TV then follow the same steps as above less then Roku piece.

1 Like