Unlimited access >

Waterproofing blankets

Do you waterproof your own blankets? What products are the best for this? Is it safe to use a regular waterproofing for like a tent for horse blankets?

I use the stuff with the bright orange lid, Atsko, I believe. It’s for tents and outdoor stuff. I bought a big jug and put it in a hand sprayer.

It works great.

I used to do it all the time! Now maresy is naked all winter, so I haven’t had to worry about it for a while. Tent spray was all I ever used, works great!

I use Camp Dry for waterproofing. Have not tried other productd. Available in Sporting Good section of box stores and Sporting Goods stores. Works for me, but I only have one horse who gets covered.

Hmmm - all I’ve ever used is Nikwax but it’s a little bit expensive. . . is this tent spray stuff cheaper,
and do I find it at a sporting goods store, like Scheel’s?

I use Star Brite water based waterproofer (Amazon). I used to use the non water based one, it’s a bit cheaper. But the person who washes my blankets switched to this one so when it was time to buy another gallon, I switched too. I like it a bit more since I have this lithium battery sprayer that I use for round up or spot weed killing, etc. and now I can use it with this stuff as well since it is water based and you can clean the spray nozzles much easier. It’s a lot easier to have a battery powered sprayer when to are doing multiple blankets.

The jury is still out, this year happened to be a year where I bought the primary blanket wearer two new blankets but the older blankets have held up fine in bad weather