Unlimited access >

Waterproofing for T/O Sheets and Blankets

I’ve posted this link before, but YES, the Teflon company says that high-heat drying is beneficial to the finish.

http://www.dupont.com/teflon/fabricprotector/how/how_faq.html

A quote from the link above:

For outerwear, do you still do light ironing to activate?
A heat treatment (warm ironing or tumble-drying) will optimize the performance of Teflon®.

What is not beneficial to the blanket is having the straps get tangled in the dryer and subsequently rip right off. Which is why the blanket companies say not to tumble dry them. That instruction has nothing to do with the finish itself.

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Nope!!

Big Belgian, the point is that it has to be clean. Go to your nearest sporting goods/camping store and get some Nikwax wash. Wash the sheet first and then re-waterproof it.

[I]’‘Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.’’

• Pablo Picasso[/I]

A great waterproofing spray-on available cheap at wal-mart. It’s called silicone water guard. 100% waterproof and breathable. Comes in a can with a bright orange lid. It’s also available at some camping stores. Much cheaper than scotchguard but does take 2 cans to do a turnout thoroughly. Some of my rambo’s are 12 years old and still going strong.

all of these “washing issues” make me long for the old “Triple Crowns”. I do still have a couple that are about 20 years old. Still 100% waterproof, (never been treated) but the darn things just like to shift sideways

Darlyn
http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I’ve had my WeatherBeeta sheet and blanket for about four years now and the waterproofing on the sheet has started to fail… I have decided that my horse’s rolling in the paddock (bare ground with some small stones) is the reason why it has broken down–it’s never been washed off at a car wash or with a power sprayer… It just failed from normal wear and tear…

I believe it’s best to periodically wash off sheets and blankets with a hose, scrub the mud off with a soft brush, then hang up 'em up to dry–that way you won’t have to wash them with soap as often and it helps preserve the waterproof finish… Yes it’s a hassle, but sheets and blankets are an investment…

There are some blanket washes on the market–Nature’s Blend, Saddler’s makes a blanket wash, and Eqyss makes one…

“Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!”, uttered by me on more than one occasion

Getting back to Orvis… I thought that orvis was so great because it did not strip, yes? No?

Being from the lovely Pacific Northwest I have used Thompson’s waterseal on turn-outs. Maybe not the best thing to use, but hey, the ponies were dry and happy!

If wishes were horses… I would be sooooooo happy!!

Sleepy, OF COURSE my sheet was CLEAN prior to me using the Nikwax waterproofer! Im certainly NOT going to try waterproofing something that was filthy.

I dont understand why it has to be washed with a specific product, i.e, Nikwax Wash, if the directions on the label only say “clean”, not “wash only with Nikwax Wash or this stuff wont work”. Nowhere on the label does it even suggest that the waterproofing wont work unless you use their wash. I followed their directions precisely and the waterproofing did not work for me. I wanted to know if anyone had any other success using something else.

www.artistichandstudio.com/tylerspage.jpg

Where Blondes DO Have More Fun!

We always use Scotchguard. Available at grocery stores.

Darlyn
http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Thanks for the good waterproofing info.
The majority of the blankets we use are teflon coated gortex lined. My thoughts are the average person does not roll and grind mud into their gortex jackets . So I guess maybe the teflon holds up better in jackets.
The outer teflon waterproofing held up for about 2 washings on the horse blankets. Fortunate for us the gortex liner is still keeping them dry and snug. With the minimal price difference between Classic Gortex blankets and ones that only have an outer waterproofing, I’m going to stick with the gortex. We have a few blankets non gortex, the nikwax or campdry sounds like the way to go with them. Good info Homeagain.

[This message was edited by Hexel on Nov. 14, 2003 at 01:58 PM.]

Well, I picked up a spray can of that orange topped silicone stuff from Walmart today and Im going to give it a go on my Rambo and Goretex sheets this week and see how well they work. We are supposed to get rain this week, so I guess I will find out how well it holds up.

I don’t think it’s the specific product so much as it is it has to be a very mild detergent or real soap. And unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be available in the supermarket anymore. They’ve changed the formualtions on Ivory and Dreft.

[I]’‘Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.’’

• Pablo Picasso[/I]

Chartley, that’s EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! THANK YOU! Im off to Walmart tomorrow.

Sadly, 3dazey, the Goretex bit the dust only after two years of so so water repellancy. I think it was made by Classic. I know it was pretty expensive, like $275.00, and I was sorely disappointed in it. I hope you have better luck w/yours!

For those of you who need an easier way to care for your sheets and blankets–Chick’s Discount Saddlery has kits you can buy that consist of a container of pure soap and a container of wash-in reproofer for either synthetic or natural fabrics–$9.99 a set, just enough for one load… For more information, click here and scroll down and to the right near the end of the page…

Maybe a good idea for that horseperson on your Christmas list???

“Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!”, uttered by me on more than one occasion

[This message was edited by Cherry on Nov. 17, 2003 at 05:50 AM.]

BB, the “wash” formulated for washing blankets probably cleans better and rinses better from the sheets/blankets than other soaps or detergents creating a foundation that will allow the waterproofing to work to its fullest…

I flunked Chemistry class but it just stands to reason that if one would want to use a specific waterproofing product that one would want to use the same brand of “wash” to launder it, if only to ensure success… I’m sure it has something to do with molecules and the process of bonding which I do not understand and, therefore, cannot explain to you… But it’s at work!!!

I believe it also takes some time for the waterproofing to cure–more than just overnight… If you didn’t give it sufficient time to dry and “cure” before sending the blanket out in the rain then this could be another reason why it failed…

Perhaps it would be less hassle for you to just send your blankets and sheets out to a horse laundry and have them worry about all that for you!!! Then, if it doesn’t work you have someone to blame…

Thompson’s Water Seal was made for sealing concrete and wood–not for fabrics… Not only that but I would be afraid to put it on my horse with all those chemicals in it–you’d better think long and hard before using that!!!

[This message was edited by Cherry on Nov. 13, 2003 at 06:37 PM.]

So far so good with my Gortex. I have some that are going on 4 yr’s old. Also made by Classic.
They are turnouts, the outer fabric has lost it’s waterproofing, however luckily so far the gortex liner still keeps them dry. I also have used camp dry with Rambo’s in the past. Will need to check out the nik wax. Guess I’ll have to get out the cheese grater and buy Ivory bars and grate them into the washer. Or is that not pure soap anymore either?

Basically, detergents (all commercial washing soaps INCLUDING woolite) literally grab onto water. They will leave a residue on your blankets that will ALSO grab onto water. Obviously this destroys the waterproofing qualities of te blanket, it needs to repel water, not grab it.

In other words, no, there are NO commercially available non-detergent soaps available anymore, ever since Ivory Snow changed its formula to become a detergent. Non-detergent cleansers (such as Rambo Wash and Tech Wash) can be bought through camping catalogs (www.rei.com).
As for Gore-tex, Gore-tex is a fabric liner, however, all Gore-tex blankets (and jackets such as those made by North Face or whatever) are also coated with a DWR – or Durable Water Repellant - Finish. This is what makes the water bead up off the fabric. As someone already noted, the DWR can be damaged but Gore-Tex still retains its ability to be breathably waterproof. The DWR just helps it do it better.

Nikwax TX-Direct is a popular DWR refresher. The Gore company (makers of Gore-Tex) also makes a product but I can’t recall the name.

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

I used the cheap,orange-topped can of silicone from walmart on two rambo turnout sheets last winter. Here in Virginia it was a very wet winter and spring, and those sheets were well used for at least four months. By the end of the spring (and I think I ended up using them through a good part of April, probably water-proofed them in Dec-Jan), one of them was starting to soak through in a couple of small spots, but overall, I thought the product worked well for one season. And better than the more expensive product I tried on another blanket.

This year I picked up a spray waterproofing at an outdoors/sporting goods store. It dries much faster and covers much better, but will have to wait and see how well it works. I sprayed one blanket with it and so far so good, but we haven’t had that much rain so far.