Unlimited access >

Waterproofing for T/O Sheets and Blankets

I have an older Rambo t/o sheet that’s in perfect condition except it is no longer waterproof. I used the waterproofing that Rambo suggests, cant think of the name right now, but had no success w/that.

Someone told me Thompson’s Water Seal would work. Is this true or do ya’ll have some other products that you have been successful with. I DONT want to spend $200 buying another sheet for a retiree who has more outfits than I do!

www.artistichandstudio.com/tylerspage.jpg

Where Blondes DO Have More Fun!

I have an older Rambo t/o sheet that’s in perfect condition except it is no longer waterproof. I used the waterproofing that Rambo suggests, cant think of the name right now, but had no success w/that.

Someone told me Thompson’s Water Seal would work. Is this true or do ya’ll have some other products that you have been successful with. I DONT want to spend $200 buying another sheet for a retiree who has more outfits than I do!

Thanks, Guys. Sheesh, I didnt realize Id have to have a degree in chemistry in order to water proof a lousy sheet!

To top it off, the stinking Goretex sheet that I have has also stopped being waterproof! Both sheets are in perfect repair, perfectly clean and perfectly useless to me as a wet weather turnout.

Would Orvis work as well, since it seems to be something recommended for washing delicate lace, as well as a product used on the horses themselves??

~<>~ COTHBB Leather Care Guru~<>~
~Member of the Horse Vans Rock clique~

“Onomatopoeia…isn’t that in Hawai’i?”–Colin Deschamps

How many of these “no longer waterproof blankets” have been washed in a carwash or with other type of pressure washer?

For “soap” to wash this type stuff with look in a backpacking store or I think Target even has it. Personal experience on backpacking stuff shows that the spray on silicone only lasts a couple of days. There is some other spray on stuff that will last on boots for a ten day trip and probably a lot longer. I looked for some here but couldn’t find any. I believe Target sells it in the camping section. It comes in a smallish spray can with a dark green top. Smells terrible for a few hours but works.

Thompson’s is just wax disolved in mineral spirits. The mineral spirits evaporate away and leaves the wax. We use it on the Scout Troop’s old cotton canvas tents. I wouldn’t use it on synthetics.

I wash EVERYTHING in cold water and use a soap -detergent will strip waterproofing and damage fibers on stable blanekts. I use NIKWAX waterproofing specifically for horse clothing. I’d never give away my secret with the soap and deoderizer I use - except to say it is made with natural ingredients.

I wash and repair blankets for a living. I absolutely would not use Thompson’s Water Seal; your sheet will not be breathable if you use that.

I use the Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof; it is a wash-in product that I have had much success with. You must use either Rambo Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash before you use the Rug Proof or it will not work.

Good luck
Taryn

What you wash it with makes a HUGE difference whether or not the Nikwax waterproofing will “take”. The Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof will work on any synthetic fabric, doesn’t matter if it was once waterproof or not.

I am actually looking at the label right now and instruction #1 is: “Clean garment first using a non-detergent soap (such as Nikwax Tech Wash).”

Regular laundry detergents (Tide, etc…) leave a residue on the fabric and the waterproofing agent cannot penetrate through it.

Another important thing to consider with the Nikwax product is for it to work to its fullest, you need to put the sheet in the dryer (on medium or high setting) afterward. They also state that on their label.

Good luck…

Taryn

Creseida, Orvis paste is a detergent… When I worked at State Line Tack they told us to tell people that it is a stripper–it will strip off the build-up that you get on your horse from using excessive Show Sheen and those kind of products… Use what you will, but I would contact the company that makes Orvis and run it by them before using it…

If you want to maintain the waterproofing on your sheets and blankets and the warranty has expired you can use Delicare, by Arm and Hammer or Dr. Bronner’s Sals Suds (adding a dash of baking soda to help it work) starting with an eighth of a cup and adding more, if necessary…

If your sheet and/or blanket is under warranty you need to use the cleaner and re-proofer that the manufacturer recommends or your warranty will be null and void

If you are using a spray repellent remember that it cannot be applied if the temp is below 50 degrees… Two light coats applied 24 hours apart is better than one heavy coat and after 48 hours a third coat down the center of the sheet/blanket in about a three foot swath will assure that it will not fail… Allow to dry for 24 more hours and you should be good to go…

Or you could just send it to a horse laundry and forget you ever read this stuff!!! The more research I do the more the more sending out my sheets and blankets to be done by someone else begins to make sense… Doing horse jackets is not for the faint of heart!!! I just did some, so I can say that!!!

BB, I don’t think you really need a degree in chemistry to do this stuff–you just need to know what you don’t know… When I flunked chemistry I just had to make up my mind that my talent in that area is limited and now before I use anything that requires chemicals I consult my brother-in-law (who is a chemist), my veterinarians (large and small), or the company that makes the product I am interested in using before I do or use anything… Research is my best friend!!! “A man’s got to know his limitations!”, (if ya know what I mean)…

I wouldn’t wash my synthetic sheets/blankets in Woolite… I used to knit and a yarn shop owner told me of an incident where a customer had attempted to wash a cotton sweater she had so lovingly knitted in Woolite and it ate the sweater apart!!! I am also into learning from others’ mistakes as I will never live long enough to make them all myself…

Best of luck to everyone!!!

“Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!”, uttered by me on more than one occasion

[This message was edited by Cherry on Nov. 14, 2003 at 07:11 AM.]

I picked up a spray can of “Thunder shield” or something at Petsmart last night, to spray where Horsewash of RI, where Dover sends blankets, did THE WORST repairs I’ve ever seen. I have used the “wash and rinse” products, they worked well for me, I usually wash with no detergent before they get too grungy, the heat of the drier is supposed to “reactivate” the waterproofing a little.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tarynls:
I wash and repair blankets for a living. I absolutely would not use Thompson’s Water Seal; your sheet will not be breathable if you use that.

I use the Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof; it is a wash-in product that I have had much success with. You must use either Rambo Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash before you use the Rug Proof or it will not work.

Good luck
Taryn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this only work on blankets that were once waterproof? Or will it work to waterproof non-waterproof or only water-resistant blankets??

OK, so what ARE you supposed to wash blankets with? Are there any “regular” detergents (like Woolite) that can be used?

Last time, I think I washed mine in Planet or one of those eco-friendly detergents…

You put them in the dryer?!?!?! Aren’t you afraid they’ll melt? I could have sworn all my sheets and blankets say no dryer. I wash them in the front loader and hang them on the fence.

[I]’‘Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.’’

• Pablo Picasso[/I]

Argh! You won’t let the rest of us in on the trade secrets??

Thanks, Taryn for your input. It was the Nikwax waterproofing that I used and I just went into the tack room and read the label again. It only says to use with a CLEAN blanket, not that it HAS to be washed with another Rambo product. What’s the big deal w/the blanket having to be also washed with something that Rambo markets? My local tack shop carries the waterproofing, but not the wash stuff.

Is there another product that will work as well?

Geez Big Belgian, you’ve really wrecked my evening. Your GORETEX isn’t waterprooof anymore? Good heavens, I thought it was supposed to be so forever. I bought two last year and hoped they would go on and on and on. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

I remember the directions for washing from my toklat timberline blanket - it says to put it in the dryer on low heat will reactivate the teflon waterproofing.

So some synthetics can handle a low heat dryer…

I use campdry, it works just fine. I spray it on my cleaned blankets after they are washed, and let them airdry (and unsmell ) for a day afterward. I don’t know it’s cost comparison to the nikwax stuff-i also have a gallon of new, non silicone spray waterproofer, which is really nice and smells better. I would never recommend the thompson’s either

Elippses Users Clique…Co-Founder Occularly Challenged Equine Support Group, "I hate stall rest"and now the “Better riding through Chemistry Clique”

“What the fuh?” Robby Johnson

Hi !

Carr Day and Martin (UK) make a fabulous blanket reproofer ! They also make a blanket refresher which gets rid of “old smell” …

Yours in sport,

Lynn

Founder of the Pinto Warmblood Clique

Woolite also pulls the color out of a garmant.

I’m a knitter too and would never use it on anything I’ve made (this seems to be common knowledge in knitting circles, BTW).