Unlimited access >

We have returned from Italy.........

We ate, rode and shopped pretty much every day!

It was wonderful----got in yesterday in Houston–only place our luggage was rifled thru was in Paris yesterday morning. Otherwise we got thru customs in all airports with no problem. Local italian police surrounding US Embassy in Rome and in Naples. Police on every major streetcorner in both cities.

Bought lots of horsey things, one tack store in Naples now owned by my dear friend, Titti Sconamiglio. Paid next to nothing for everything I bought as I paid in lire which I still have!

Rode a few horses who badly need flat work; jumped a few jumps, saw many riding schools, visited with old friends–needless to say it was as if time had never passed us by; we’re still the same people, just supposedly all grown up, but we sure were loud at the restaurants!

Glad to be home, but wish I could live 6 months outta the year in Naples and 6 months here.

Horses have very little running around area at riding schools. Everyone is in a stall 24/7 and all have hoof problems; all are shod all the way around and stand on straw. Some have shavings, but shavings are very expensive over there, straw is the standard footing. Lots of riding rings at every stable; big courtyards for grooms to bring out horses to you, which was great! I am my own groom, so it was nice to hand off my horse to someone after I rode. Had to check girth a few times while riding though!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
Quote: "
Glad to be home, but wish I could live 6 months outta the year in Naples and 6 months here."

Let me guess, Bethe, which 6 months would that be? …
Welcome back!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, when heat and humidity set in! In fact, I have been invited to come back and live for 3 months out of the year and help out one of the local riding schools. But, I would want to bring my horses and sending 10 horses to Italy is a bit beyond my pocketbook, plus piroplasmosis is really an issue over there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cactuskate:
So glad you made it back safe and sound. I bet it was a bit un-nerving at first.

Isn’t it great to see old friends? I love that feeling of having just been together yesterday, but it has been years.

Sounds like your horse travels were excellent too. Did you book your return visit?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were most alert on the plane and in the airports. Frankly I felt safer in Europe due to the intense security.

Seeing old friends was just great. I am still fluent in Italian, so getting around was no problem. We rented a car in Rome, stayed 4 days for a horseshow and then drove to Naples last Monday to see our old friends. Of course we have all grown up, but faces are the same and we had great laughs remembering the silly things we did and how our Maestro would get so mad at us. It was as if time stood still, nothing had changed and pretty much all of us still have horses or are involved in horses in some way.

We hope to go back in May for the Rome International horseshow, but I cannot pull my son out of school any more this school year. So depending on when the show is will depend on if we go or not. Tickets are really cheap right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:
bambina.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was really a great time. We talked about your stallion while I was there too. My dear friend, Paolo, has a Belgium bred mare who is no longer able to compete; she needs a very refined stallion to be able to compliment some of her ruggedness. I saw the mare…huge mare, with a rather long topline…we discussed what it would take to use your stallion. In fact, over dinner one night, we talked about cost of shipping semen to Europe etc…on a rather serious note. I don’t think they are ready at this point to breed the mare, but perhaps in the next year or two they will be.

Glad you had a great trip and saw old friends. Now all you have to do is come to Virginia…

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
Glad you had a great trip and saw old friends. Now all you have to do is come to Virginia…
~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next spring I hope to be in Kentucky, of course I will have horses with me, but afraid that is as far north as I am going to get for awhile. But, you know I would love to see you. So, perhaps next summer, I can fly up for a weekend…when it is so hot here!

Thanks for thinking of us on your travels. So, How WAS the shopping?

Glad to hear that you had a good time. I’m leaving Friday evening and I sure hope you have left me some good stuff to buy! How was the weather? I’m in a quandry as to what I should pack! Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

bambina.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Glad to be home, but wish I could live 6 months outta the year in Naples and 6 months here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me guess, Bethe, which 6 months would that be? …

Welcome back!

We ate, rode and shopped pretty much every day!

It was wonderful----got in yesterday in Houston–only place our luggage was rifled thru was in Paris yesterday morning. Otherwise we got thru customs in all airports with no problem. Local italian police surrounding US Embassy in Rome and in Naples. Police on every major streetcorner in both cities.

Bought lots of horsey things, one tack store in Naples now owned by my dear friend, Titti Sconamiglio. Paid next to nothing for everything I bought as I paid in lire which I still have!

Rode a few horses who badly need flat work; jumped a few jumps, saw many riding schools, visited with old friends–needless to say it was as if time had never passed us by; we’re still the same people, just supposedly all grown up, but we sure were loud at the restaurants!

Glad to be home, but wish I could live 6 months outta the year in Naples and 6 months here.

Horses have very little running around area at riding schools. Everyone is in a stall 24/7 and all have hoof problems; all are shod all the way around and stand on straw. Some have shavings, but shavings are very expensive over there, straw is the standard footing. Lots of riding rings at every stable; big courtyards for grooms to bring out horses to you, which was great! I am my own groom, so it was nice to hand off my horse to someone after I rode. Had to check girth a few times while riding though!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue’sMom:
Glad to hear that you had a good time. I’m leaving Friday evening and I sure hope you have left me some good stuff to buy! How was the weather? I’m in a quandry as to what I should pack! Thanks again for all of your suggestions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pack a light jacket and a few sweaters. Nights are cool and days warm. Nov is usually a bit rainy but the weather in Italy as of late has been a bit odd…very little rain.

I left plenty of stuff for others! Of course I didn’t want to, I wanted the whole store! I saw a new saddle I would have killed to have and don’t need, but all the same, it was a Prestige and simply beautiful. The good buys are galloping boots (leather of course) and bell boots which will last forever. Oh, and half chaps—I bought a pair of brown ones that are simply to drool over. And I bought a saddle blanket (copertina) trimmed in the Italian colors. It will look great in competition.

Great buys on leather belts and wallets too.

Enjoy your trip, we sure had one heck of a good time!

So glad you made it back safe and sound. I bet it was a bit un-nerving at first.

Isn’t it great to see old friends? I love that feeling of having just been together yesterday, but it has been years.

Sounds like your horse travels were excellent too. Did you book your return visit?

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
Thanks for thinking of us on your travels. So, How WAS the shopping? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The shopping, the eating and the riding…I could just pack up and move! Shopping was great, value of lira to dollar terrific. Brought home lots of leather stuff–all horse stuff of course, oh and some great lead shanks—the cotton ones that are not so terribly long that they loop around your whole body! Saw some great show jackets, in red of course—many of their grand prix riders still wear red. Great buys on bridles and reins too.

I must admit, eating and riding was by far the more pleasant experiences! I ate and ate and ate, and of course there are naps after eating and then one goes back to the barn to ride and then eat around 9 pm until close to 11 pm! It was just super great!