Weak Ankle

What’s your favorite ankle brace? I’m having a hard time finding one that fits well under my boots (paddock and tall). The reality is, I twist the same ankle probably twice a year and if I keep doing this, I’m going to end up really damaging it. So what is your favorite brand and where did you find it?

I don’t have a recommendation for a brace but did want to offer up my experience.

I use to roll my ankles all the time, in fact that is what led to a pretty severe injury that eventually led me to my chiropractor. After months of pain I ended up at a chiropractor’s office. He worked alongside someone who used A.R.T., active release technique. The combination of working with both the the chiropractor & soft tissue doctor (who used ART) and orthotics, I rarely roll my ankles any more and all pain is gone. The chiropractor gave me recommendations on what tennis shoes, what orthotic inserts to use, and would modify the inserts that came in my Vionic shoes. Over time the amount of modifications have significantly reduced as everything has strengthened and I no longer pronate as bad.

3 Likes

Back on Track.

1 Like

I use a simple neoprene sock type support. I have very wide feet and slim ankles, it doesn’t change the fit of my boots.

I managed to tear all the ligaments, tendons and cartalidge from my achilles to my toes. It was misdiagnosed for 1.5 years as a bad sprain, until I finally had an MRI done. By then it was too late to really fix the damage.

Almost 14 yrs later it only bothers me in cold wet weather.

I fell down a flight of stairs years back (stupid; wore socks without shoes on because I didn’t want to wear my bike cleats in the house and was too lazy to take off the socks). Being in my 20s, I promptly ignored it, rode to work, rode home, and continued ignoring it for months. Far too long later, I went for an x-ray and then an MRI. Best we can make out, I tore some cartilage under the talus. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I’ve tried several different braces and find the OS1st AF7 “ankle bracing sleeve” supports me without making it impossible to zip up a tall boot. Of course, I’ve also been fortunate that over time, physical therapy and more body awareness have helped strengthen everything else in my lower leg. I went from being unable to jump for years to only feeling it during certain really cold, damp days.

I like the OrthoSleeve FS6.