Weak/Locking Stifles in Young Horses

Talk to me about weak/locking stifles in young horses. :frowning: I have a lovely 3 year old (just turned 3) that seems to have weak or locking stifles or both. It’s most noticeable when he first come out of his stall and while he’s doing transitions down to the walk. He’s athletic and a lovely mover/jumper, but I’m worried about his hind end. We are doing lots of walking up and down hills, lots of long lining over poles and raised poles, everything we can think of to try to strengthen his hind him. My trainer is away at a horse show and I’ll be picking her brain when she’s home, but thought I’d check in here.

Have you had a horse with these issues go on to have a nice performance career? Does it limit them in regards to jumping at all? Thanks everyone!

Not all that uncommon while they’re growing, and especially if it’s a butt-high stage

do you have a conformation-type picture?

I wouldn’t worry at all yet, especially with how it’s presenting. More turnout if possible. Make SURE his hind feet are well-trimmed, no long toes, shorter trim cycle if necessary. It’s hard to work a 3yo to the point of really strengthening muscles, but what you’re doing now is great, and like I said, if more turnout is possible, do that at least for a few months.

7 Likes

Thank you, I don’t have a current one and he had been butt high for a while, leveled out, and seems to be butt high again now. He does have more of a straight hind leg than I’d like. Unfortunately he cannot be out 24/7, but our barn does a fantastic job at keeping them out as much as possible, always 12+ hours.

I get it on the turnout situation. Butt high straightens the whole hind end angles, so don’t judge him on that just yet, but it does increase the locking situation. He’ll improve once his front end catches up

Thank you. When he levels out, and the locking is still occurring, what do I do then?

Work :slight_smile: That’s the first course of action. And it can take 6-12 months, potentially more like 12 for a young horse, to get the muscling needed

A marching walk is SO good for stifles, and good for building a solid base of basic fitness. If he’s under saddle yet, you can start walking and walking and walking, as he gets more and more fit. There’s just no downside to it, and so many benefits. The more varied the terrain, the better. Appropriate hill work is great, just remember he’s still 3.

2 Likes

Thank you! You’ve settled my nerves big time. Because he’s slow to mature physically, we’ve not started him under saddle, but we do lots of forward walking in the long lines and over poles and everywhere! I’m in no rush with him as I hope he’s my forever horse. :heart:

2 Likes

My big WB went through that as a 2yo into his 3yo year. Once he matured fully, he never had an issue. But it occasionally popped up as he went into AND out of work, before settling to a non-issue

1 Like

That’s the one thing I find odd is he’s not huge, he’s rather small and compact. I had a young mare that was tall and lanky who has stifle issues years ago, and that made sense. We have his full, 4 year old brother in the barn who is a LOVELY size for me. I’m crossing everything that mine gets there over the next year. I’ve been told they grow quite a bit from three to four so here’s hoping.

it’s less about size, and more about the conformation and the growth stage.

Hopefully that means he’s still growing!

Everything @JB said, but especially time. I’ve got one in my barn now that had a bit of time off and is not very fit and even at 8 years old has locking stifles. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with going slowly, so I would just encourage you to keep going slowly and walking a lot and you’ll end up with a horse that is sound well into his 20s. :grin: Hand walking on trails with a buddy is a great thing to do at this age so when you start riding him on the trail there will be fewer antics. Have fun!

2 Likes

At just turned 3, he’s still growing :slight_smile:

3 Likes