Wearing orthotics?

This was posted by WATERYGLEN on another thread:

And ANYONE with lower joint/back/hip/knee/ankle etc injuries or problems should avoid jumping down off a horse. Sometimes permanently. Start using a “dismounting” block or stump or bench or whatever. Or get a shorter horse!!! The pounds per square inch of compression can be very high and bad for you especially if you have any extra weight on you or you jump off or you come off fast or awkwardly. Save yourself. We only have so many dismounts left in us ya know!!!

I wish I had seen and heeded her advice sooner. Last summer, while wearing some new orthotics in my riding/barn boots, I was warming up my horse and remembered something I needed to turn off in the barn. I vaulted off QUICKLY and hit the ground rather hard, thinking ouch–that hurt, but did what I needed to do, remounted and didn’t think of it again. Until a few weeks later. I started getting these weird pains up and down the back of my calves. Looks like a simple dismount resulted in some small tears in the Achilles tendon. Unfortunately, after three doctors and some PT there hasn’t been much improvement. I’m finding the pain management a challenge but what I really mind is not being able to hike with the dogs and handwalk the horses. I haven’t ridden because of winter weather but am going to start tomorrow.

And I will be using the mounting and dismounting block!!