Unlimited access >

Weatherbeeta fly sheets

I’ve been using this one, the WB Bugbeeta Detach-a-neck, and I love that it’s lightweight especially since I live in FL and it is HOT and MUGGY here right now! My mare is allergic to gnat bites, so I need a fly sheet that’s a fine mesh but still cool.
Her current sheet

The one issue wih that sheet is that it doesn’t last long before it has tears in it (and my mare is very good to blankets/sheets and goes out alone too!) and after a few washes, the edges wrinkle up, exposing more of her to the bugs.

So I was looking into giving this one a try…has anyone used this one and what do you think in a hot and humid climate? I mean they’ll always sweat if it gets hot enough, she sweats in her current sheet around the reinforced area, but I just want something she won’t get heat stroke in :wink:

The one I’m considering buying - WB Ripshield Plus

From the look of that one, I’d say it’s too heavy for a humid climate. While it looks more durable than her current one, I wouldn’t risk overheating with the Ripshield. The large reinforced areas look thick and like they would severely impact airflow. In my area, which is really hot and sometimes humid, even the lightweight sheets cause a lot of sweating even to the point of lathering. With increased humidity I would worry about overheating with one as heavy as the Ripshield is.

I think that’s the one I’ve got, but used to be called “Durashield” or something. It is definitely more sturdy - mine lived out in his spring through fall in a group of geldings, and he was at the bottom of the heap. No rips at all.

However - I did have to remove it on those hot, humid days as he would sweat underneath it. I’m in Ontario and we regularly get 30-degree (Celcius) days + humidity into the 40s (so high 80s-90s F regular temp, then over 100F with humidity).

This year he is on stall board with daytime turnout - and the barn won’t put that sheet on during the 30+ degree days either. They had it on earlier in the summer, then maybe one day when it got humid and he would be soaked. No more sheet until just last week when it went down into the 20s again (70s F).

I have had all sorts of fly sheets and have now concluded that the coolest one is the Kensington. It seems heavier but it doesn’t cling to the skin. I also have a Weatherbeeta Airflow http://www.statelinetack.com/item/weatherbeeta-airflow-detach-a-neck-fly-sheet/E002202/ which works well but certainly doesn’t hold up.

I have been experimenting this summer and have concluded that the coolest is the Kensington, followed by the Airflow, followed by the Rambo (the brown one). The latter wears like iron but I only use them when the temps are below 75.

My guys are in during the day when it’s really hot but they do go out around 5 pm so they wear sheets when out.

Thanks all!!!

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8848317]
I have had all sorts of fly sheets and have now concluded that the coolest one is the Kensington. It seems heavier but it doesn’t cling to the skin. I also have a Weatherbeeta Airflow http://www.statelinetack.com/item/weatherbeeta-airflow-detach-a-neck-fly-sheet/E002202/ which works well but certainly doesn’t hold up.

I have been experimenting this summer and have concluded that the coolest is the Kensington, followed by the Airflow, followed by the Rambo (the brown one). The latter wears like iron but I only use them when the temps are below 75.

My guys are in during the day when it’s really hot but they do go out around 5 pm so they wear sheets when out.[/QUOTE]

Which Rambo did you have? I had the one with the fly spray infused in it and not only did she sweat bullets under it, it also rubbed all the hair off her shoulders!

I had a plaid Kensington I loved but the mosquitos and gnats still bit through it, wasn’t a fine enough mesh. Which sucks because that sheet was so fashionable :wink:

I used a Schneiders mosquito mesh fly sheet this year. Durability wasn’t great, but better than I had expected. It made it through the full season here. Seemed cooler than ones I’ve used in the past. The mesh is super fine so that’s a bonus.

I’ve used a lot of WB Airflows before. Durability was okay and it wasn’t super hot, but it didn’t excel in either category. I liked them better when I lived in a cooler, less humid climate.

I hear a lot of recommendations for Kensington, but the only one I ever owned only lasted a week before it got ripped in half. May have simply been a bad one because I really do hear so much praise for them.

Feb - thanks for the info! I used a Schneider’s mosquito mesh before but mine wrinkled up really quickly, which is why I went to the WB. But that was over a year ago so maybe they have improved since then!