Unlimited access >

Weekend Cat Thread-- Anti-spin to Cat Repellent and Furniture: Let them claw couch!

The title of the “Cat Repellent to save furniture” thread of course struck me as Just Wrong. Why not buy furniture FOR the cats and Kat Kuddling while posting on KOTH?

The question: Can we start a design school that’s cat-centric? And the basics for that.

1. What is your cat’s favorite hang out space?

2. What do you to do preserve it or keep it clean? (IME, cats don’t like sleeping in cat hair if they have a choice. Change the damn sheets!)

3. Have you made any cat-specific modifications to stuff designed for other beings?

1. My lap
  2. Sit. And shower
  3. Arrange pillows, my legs, etc… To provide best lap-sitting options.
3 Likes
  1. The loveseat sofa. Our bed. The longer sofa. The armchair.
  2. I am going to have to get us some cat-colored sheets!
  3. I expect I could find some calico sheets if I looked hard enough, but where do I find tortoiseshell sheets?

I’m with you on the cat-friendly furniture and household, mvp. That cat-repellant-spray thread was just wrong!

You guys can hear strains of Marie Antoinette in the title, right?

Who gets something as squish and soft and nice as a cat and then doesn’t get furniture to go with it?

And what’s the point of having a sofa if the cat can’t be on it? What, do you leave your throw pillows on the ground near the sofa?

Sometimes I leave mine there, if a cat needs the space on the sofa. :lol:

1. The back of the sofa. Or my memory foam pillow.

2. Toss an equally soft, squishy blanket over the sofa. Wash the pillow cases often:( (I wouldn’t mid if he just slept there, but he grooms himself on it:no: )

3. We leave dresser drawers open for the young one to snuggle in, or use as a ladder-rung so she can get to the top.

[QUOTE=talkofthetown;8265758]

1. The back of the sofa. Or my memory foam pillow.

2. Toss an equally soft, squishy blanket over the sofa. Wash the pillow cases often:( (I wouldn’t mid if he just slept there, but he grooms himself on it:no: )

3. We leave dresser drawers open for the young one to snuggle in, or use as a ladder-rung so she can get to the top.[/QUOTE]

Similarly, my big 17#- Hat Cat (sleeps on my head) needs a mesa of pillows. So when we’re getting ready for bed, I have to built him a taller platform of pillows behind the one I’ll put my head on. Otherwise, I’ll get my neck all compressed by a heavy cat. He likes it…. near to me, but higher up.

You can’t have enough clean pillow cases for a Hat Cat. But there are rules against grooming sound effects in bed at night. No way will that happen on the pillow right by my head. Come to think of it, Kitteh hasn’t done that in a long time. I think he’s trained.

My mom told me to keep some moving boxes so that visiting foster kittens would have a jungle gym.

Do you Cat Furniture experts import new boxes from time to time? That seems like a good idea.

[QUOTE=mvp;8265803]
… I think he’s trained…[/QUOTE]

Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night…:lol:

On the awkward nightly grooming noises: yes. Ew. Please do not do that by my face.

Hahahaha. My dh was horrified that “his” two cats fell ASLEEP during the first pre-season football game yesterday–on his chest and legs. He kept bleating for me to bring him treats since he “couldn’t” move and disturb the wretches.

The common condition known as “Cat Lap”. No treatments are currently known to man; your only hope is to wait it out.

[QUOTE=Hermein;8265867]
Hahahaha. My dh was horrified that “his” two cats fell ASLEEP during the first pre-season football game yesterday–on his chest and legs. He kept bleating for me to bring him treats since he “couldn’t” move and disturb the wretches.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the same rules apply in my family. If someone asks you to bring her something and she says “I have a heavy cat on me,” you must comply. That phrase is the “open sesame” of service. You can’t be the cause of a disturbed cat.

1. I have five cats and they prefer different areas. The couch is popular (either on the seat cushions or on top of the back cushions). Some of them like my bed. Some of them like the cat beds that are in the house. One of them likes to go under my bed on the fluffy rug. Some of them like to go upstairs in the loft (there is a ledge that overlooks the den downstairs).

2. The couch is always covered in blankets to protect it from hair, claws, puke, etc. There is an ugly old blanket covering my bed for the same reason. No pretty comforters for me! :wink:

I have 2 of those Turbo Scratcher toys. They’re round with a cardboard insert in the middle and a ball that goes around the outside. Some of them scratch the cardboard and I also have 2 small scratching posts that they use. I have never really had a problem with them clawing the couch or furniture. They prefer to claw the area rugs.

1 Like