Unlimited access >

Weeklong clinics: Do they exist?

ETA: I’m not on Facebook or Instagram, and I suspect that’s where a lot of this information turns up. Sigh.

Having searched for about a week, and coming up empty, I now turn to you. I want to do a long weekend or even a week of nothing but intense learning on a schoolie. Prefer a group, and would LOVE sessions to include ground lessons on anything from anatomy to nutrition to stable management to “judging” videotaped hunter and jumper rounds. U.S. location greatly preferred, and East Coast, but will consider the U.K. Does anything like this exist?

Also, is there a central repository of clinic postings? In all my Googling I’ve found little beyond pre-pandemic dates and notices of pandemic cancellations. I’d enjoy looking at a long list, booking and having something to look forward to.

3 Likes

Look up Epona Spain. They have a variety of programs. Instruction is fantastic and horses are very well trained.

2 Likes

There are definitely some eventing “camps” for adults (for example I know that Apple Tree South has one in Aiken) and I’ve seen a few weekend non-eventing ones here in MD/SE PA (Second Nature Farm, Paradox Country Farm) But Idk of a list.

1 Like

Another vote for Epona :ballot_box_with_check:
Fernando & Jane are great hosts.
And if their daughters have taken that over, you are also assured a great time.
One daughter trained at the School in Jerez.
Horses are awesome, lessons :+1: & trail rides are gorgeous.

I went in October - it was fantastic! The daughter has taken over although you still Jane and Fernando. Considering a return this fall.

2 Likes

It was 10yrs ago for me.
Back then guests stayed at the hacienda.
When Fernando picked me up at Seville airport, I asked how many others would be there.
His answer: None :open_mouth:
That weekend was Vivy’s wedding.
They hadn’t wanted to disappoint me, so kept my reservation for 4 days of the Train & Trail program.
Fernando took me to dinner in Carmona the 1st night.
Every morning I went on a 2h trail ride with the resident trainer. German girl, IIRC.
After breakfast served to me - & me alone - in the dining room.
Then, after some free time (nap!) a lesson on a schoolmaster mare.
Lunch, more free time, dinner…
Wash, rinse, repeat for 2 days.
Then the trail ride was followed by a trip to the school in Jerez with Fernando.
On day 4 Jane’s family arrived from Scotland & after my ride & lesson, I was invited to join the family for Jane’s paella.
That was my last day at Epona.
Fernando took me to the train in Seville & I joined friends already in Madrid.
It was my 1st (& only) riding vacation & could not have been better.

6 Likes

Not to worry, your lack of social media use would make no difference, as no one seems to post or advertise clinics online in any way, ever. This has been a grievance of mine for many years. As with much else in the equine industry, most clinic details seem to only be available through word-of-mouth.

2 Likes

I’m leaning toward a four- to seven-day riding vaca in Ireland. Groups of eight or more get a discount. Cough. It could be a really good time. Cough.

1 Like

My bestie and I have been thinking of this for a while. When are you planning on going?

September '23 or April '24? Depends on how my custom boot situ shakes down. (Old pair being stretched. Please, God, please, God.) Let’s see if others have any interest. Wouldn’t it be super?!

1 Like

Well, enter a week long show and hire a great trainer for the week.

2 Likes

Soooo fun! April 2024 for me!