Unlimited access >

WEG Chief Steward

Does anyone here remember the chief steward for the Lexington WEG? There were quite a few comments about how she handled things, and not all were positive. Now she may not have been THE chief steward, but she was chief steward during eventing.

I’m talking about the person who was in charge of the barns.

She’s the chief steward again for Normandy, at least for show jumping.

Discuss.

Could you be anymore vague?

Not sure what you are getting at but then I don’t really remember any drama either.

P.

A Chief FEI steward does a whole lot more than be in charge of the barns.

The Chief Steward for Jumping is Frances Triulzi from Italy. You can find a complete list of FEI Officials for all disciplines at http://www.fei.org/fei/fei-weg/2014 and click on List of FEI Officials.

[QUOTE=pegasusmom;7736378]
A Chief FEI steward does a whole lot more than be in charge of the barns.

The Chief Steward for Jumping is Frances Triulzi from Italy. You can find a complete list of FEI Officials for all disciplines at http://www.fei.org/fei/fei-weg/2014 and click on List of FEI Officials.[/QUOTE]

You’d know, Pegasus Mom. LAZ would know. At the Lexington WEG back by the barns, there was a trailer called the Steward’s trailer. It had coffee machines, computers, and an office that I was told was the Chief Steward’s. I don’t know if they had a single Chief Steward for all the disciplines then, because I was only around for eventing. There were LOTS of Stewards who came through that trailer. I met stewards from GB, NZ, Australia, Ireland, and our own M O’Connor, and they were not eventing people.

At any rate, Ms. Triulzi was the person who sat back in the office at night and had to deal with competitors and chefs d’equipe and all sorts of complaints. That office was very busy all night long. I remember her well for a number of reasons. Maybe she was not Chief Steward, but some sort of chief night steward, but she was VERY important. And rather short tempered.

Is there a point, vineyridge, other than that she has a short temper?

I’d be short tempered too if I had that job…

I can only guess that she was the FEI Steward who drew the short straw and had to stay overnight in the stabling area.

The word “steward” is a bit confusing - you have ring stewards, dressage stewards, warm up stewards, area stewards. . . none of which are FEI Stewards. An FEI Steward (there are three levels) is a licensed FEI official who oversees warm up areas, inspects stabling, conducts bandage control (boot weight check) and generally functions as an extension of the TD and the PoGJ. At smaller FEI events you may only have the Chief Steward. At larger events you would have a chief and several to many assistants. Stewards are licensed in one or more disciplines. I sort of see the job of an FEI Steward to help competitors understand the rules and keep them from getting eliminated for doing dumb things. The rules change regularly and even the most savvy and experienced rider rarely keeps up.

I was an FEI Steward at Rolex this year, we all took turns on the late night shift, or coming in at 5 am as that was how the chief FEI steward opted to run things. (I was also an area steward - which was an entirely different job).

I can’t imagine being “the FEI Steward on duty” at the WEG at night - and I imagine I would get pretty testy pretty fast as well.