Unlimited access >

WEG dressage: score and placing differences between judges

Quite a few riders have been ranked very differently by individual judges. Both Steffen Peters and Patrick Kittel come to mind as having significant score differences.

Thoughts on what is going on?

I was wondering that myself. No good idea why.

Steffen was placed anywhere from 6th through 21st in the GPS!
Hans Peter Minderhoud was placed closed to Steffen overall but had similar score variations.

That just seems odd.

I thought so too.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7733804]
Hans Peter Minderhoud was placed closed to Steffen overall but had similar score variations.

That just seems odd.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7733804]

That just seems odd.[/QUOTE]

Partly because the scores are so clumped. Two percentage points separate 9th place from 20th place. Partly because Legolas does seem to have the largest variation, from a 72.3 to a 78.8. That’s a little odd to me!

All score sheets are available here; http://www.normandy2014.com/2014-games/the-disciplines/2/dressage#results under “Individual Marks”.

Lilo Fore gave Steffen a 4 for changes !

BTW, it seems like Legolas is having difficulties with the tempis (oddly, in the GPS he scored a couple of 4s and a couple of 6s on them - ???) ? Is he missing them or two-footing some or too swingy or what? I can’t see the videos.

Video; http://youtu.be/Nu0WjJGCjSs

He just doesn’t seem to have the power and muscle needed and there are indications of horse unhappiness too.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7733870]
Video; http://youtu.be/Nu0WjJGCjSs

He just doesn’t seem to have the power and muscle needed and there are indications of horse unhappiness too.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhhh, thanks for that link! I see what you’re saying. Wow, Charlotte’s GPS was something to watch. She got 5 10’s for that second piaffe.

Remember Legolas is relatively young. I certainly did not see any indication of “horse unhappiness”!! He missed some changes behind.
Also remember each judge has a very different view of the action.
Additionally, the new scoring formula has them throwing out the bottom and top scores.

Clearly you were not taking note of his ears, tail and general bearing.

Legolas is actually greatly improved in the tempis. It was actually just a few years ago when he couldn’t get them at all. But it’s still not his strength. And as already mentioned, he’s still young.

Hmmm, I don’t consider a 12 year old a “young” GP horse. Not retirement age, but certainly older than 9 or 10 when he and many other GP horses begin competing at international championships. I could see calling Verdades a “young” GP horse since it’s his first year at GP, if you want to look at it that way. Legolas I would consider a prime age, experienced GP horse. I don’t think he’s the most special horse of Steffan’s career.

Carl Hester was on an unproven novice at GP, 10 year old. I don’t think Legolas’s performance was a testament to Steffen’s horsemanship. He also appeared to me to be lacking muscle unlike the other powerful looking horses competing. Maybe he doesn’t travel well or something. He reminded me of Udon.

[QUOTE=flyracing;7736539]
Hmmm, I don’t consider a 12 year old a “young” GP horse. Not retirement age, but certainly older than 9 or 10 when he and many other GP horses begin competing at international championships. I could see calling Verdades a “young” GP horse since it’s his first year at GP, if you want to look at it that way. Legolas I would consider a prime age, experienced GP horse. I don’t think he’s the most special horse of Steffan’s career.[/QUOTE]

I think 12 is youngish for WEG-level work - especially for SOME horses. I think 14-15 is prime for alot of international GP horses, sometimes older. For example, I don’t think Bonfire actually sat in piaffe until he was in his mid teens - he cheated by swinging his hips for the longest time. Salinero mentally mellowed when he was older and showed less tension. Of course, this is provided the horse stays sound. I also think that tension creeps into Legolas and that contributed to his missed tempis. I hope continued experience and fitness gives him more confidence.