Unlimited access >

WEG Sunday

Is potsponed.
https://inside.fei.org/news/important-update-rescheduling-tryon2018-weekend-timetable

Whatā€™s happening in the giant indoor on Sunday?

I donā€™t think they have a way of safely getting horses from the stables to the indoor, and they probably donā€™t want any spectators, volunteers, or officials driving on the road Sunday. I think itā€™ll end up being a ā€œstay put where you areā€ kind of day.

It currently has reining footing in it. Which is not compatible with jumping or dressage. I think the footing will be swapped out once reining is finished, before vaulting takes place.

Kudos to the organizers for finding away to hild these these events without canceling.

I hope everyone continues to be safe. It is sad that so many people will miss the freestyles due to travel plans.

Also no way to accommodate all the freestyle ticket holders in the indoor. Way smaller number of seats than outdoors. Sad but canā€™t be helped!

glad we spent all this money for them to cancel out on us and move things around. So now I canā€™t make some of the events in which we spent money on.

1 Like

A hurricane is going to hit the event. Would you prefer that they hold the events where you, the horses, and everyone else involved is at risk? This is not on the WEG and the fact that they have a Plan B where the competition continues and everyone can stay safe is remarkable.

5 Likes

I do want the horses and everyone to stay safe.

They definitely did not think several things through and this was mostly foreseeable. Itā€™s probably the poorest run event I have ever been too.

The weather is supposed to carry on through Monday. They stopped sending notifications out to several people about event updates. It is a tropical storm by now.

If they truely cared about safety they would have moved up cross country and stop making excuses for their poorly run event.

I understand that not everything will run smoothly, but a lot of issues would have not come up if they thought about some things.

1 Like

ā€œFor additional questions about tickets, please contact tickets@tryonweg.com or visit Cabin 10B at Tryon International Equestrian Center.ā€

Additional questions would include asking for a refund ?

As many people have already pointed out, TIEC had 18 months to pull this thing together. 18 months instead of 4-5 years. I think weā€™re really lucky that things are going as well as they are, especially given that there is a hurricane passing through the area.

If you want to bitch at anybody, bitch at Bromont for creating this cluster and at Mother Nature for bringing a hurricane to push an event already operating on a thin line completely over the edge.

Yes, there are problems. I did my share of identifying shortcomings while I was there. But, overall, I think TIEC is doing a pretty good job given the circumstances.

9 Likes

If I can recall, the original track was going to stay largely east of Tryon. I think it was Wednesday when the models began to show the storm taking a hard left, then tracking back northeast.

Also, events such as this (and events like football games which have also been canceled despite a changing track) require a tremendous amount of emergency personnel to be on hand. This will hopefully free up some of those first responders and enable them to assist others in the area, should they be needed. If this helps keep people inside, keeps traffic low for first responders, etc then I think this is the right call.

1 Like

There was one person working ticketing and they are extremely hard to get ahold of. Unfortunately I donā€™t see people getting refunds. They promised a refund for something unrelated and we were unable to get ahold of them for the refund.

1 Like

I just saw on Facebook that the Freestyle has been cancelled, because flights back to Europe are scheduled for Monday and canā€™t be changed. Anyone else see this?

No official notice yet, just this: https://dressage-news.com/2018/09/15/world-equestrian-games-dressage-freestyle-reported-canceled/

1 Like

What exactly was ā€˜foreseeableā€™? Florence?

If you had been in charge, what exactly would you have done differently/better?

2 Likes

Can you cite examples of when a massive natural disaster hit a major championship such as the Games or Olympics on finals day? It would be interesting to see how others have handled this ā€œforeseeableā€ occurrence.

1 Like

There was no way to run cross country earlier. They were doing their dressage for 2 days! And Iā€™ve been watching the cross country. Havenā€™t seen horses sliding, its not raining, and the track looks fantastic. Why exactly would xc need to move up? I was there for a few days, and the dressage was run like clockwork. The endurance was a disaster, the reiners are suffering due to no ventilation, but are competing. The vendors were great, and the crowds were buying. There were incredibly long lines to get on the busses at the end of the day, but it looked like they got more busses each day. So, some things have worked, some things not so much. Pretty typical for a WEGā€¦

1 Like

To be fair, anyone in the US knows that summer/fall in the southeast states is dangerous. Even just hurricane remnants can mess with the schedule, let alone such a direct hit.

I believe the idea was to start it earlier in the morning to try to avoid the incoming weather. Instead of sticking with the original 11:00 AM start time.