Unlimited access >

Weight distributing anti sway hitch for bumper pull

The long bars are removed. Here is the pertinent page from the website:

There is a video on that page; the demo trailer has an electric jack, which we do not have.

Basically, this is a large, heavy (and long) hitch which is not left on the tow vehicle when not hauling a trailer. The brackets that hold the bars on the trailer are attached to the trailer, but the rest of the hitch (including the bars) is removed – first the bars from the trailer, then the hitch from the truck.

We keep our hitch by the trailer, convenient for its next use. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes, it certainly hauls like a dream and I haven’t noticed any stability issues even being passed by big rigs on the freeway. But I figure it’s always worth making sure .

1 Like

@Jarpur, @Feathered_Feet, thank you! I will definitely look into this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are you talking about?

Wow, you sound snarky.

Truck sway bars: https://www.newmarcorp.com/blog/what-does-a-sway-bar-do/#:~:text=A%20sway%20bar%20is%20part,a%20motor%20coach%20or%20RV

Trailer/hitch sway bars: https://togorv.com/rv-living/rv-sway-bar-and-stabilizer-basics/

3 Likes

Classic COTH the more you know moment… I’ve never heard of truck sway bars, but I took a moment to think maybe there’s something I don’t know. Pretty clear others choose a different path!

2 Likes

Here is an article from their blog that might be helpful, using the F150 as an example:

1 Like

I use an andersen weight distribution hitch with sway control (https://andersenhitches.com/pages/weight-distribution-hitch). I had a traditional weight distribution hitch but it was super heavy and awkward for me use. The andersen hitch is much lighter and does just as good or better with weight distribution and stabilization.

1 Like

I just wanted to update - I bought an an Andersen weight distribution hitch and had it installed at a local trailer place. They had never seen anything like it and thought it was pretty cool.

We trailered about 150 miles into central NY a couple of weeks ago and the difference was really striking in how the trailer (2H Adam Julite w DR) pulled behind my 2012 F150 XLT. It felt very secure, no sway at all even in some spots that normally feel a bit windy. We only had one horse and gear, but that’s our usual.

It was totally silent, even backing up. Hooking up was a little hard the first time but I rewatched the mfr video before going home and had no trouble the next time.

That Anderson hitch looks so cool! Way easier to deal with than the tradition way.

I have a traditional weight distribution hitch and sway bars. I feel silly for asking this but are they all noisy? Everything was inspected and hooked up correct but it has always been loud (the like creaking noises).

2 Likes

My understanding is yes, they are noisy, due to all the friction involved of the multiple connections having to move and slide with every bump and turn. That being said, if you are driving straight on a flat surface, it should not be noisy, just with turns.

2 Likes

I had a ton of creaking before I put a dab of lithium grease on the contact points of the chains. Now, no more creaking.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! That seems like a very simple solution!

I’ll jump in because I’m also shopping for a new WDH. I bought a Camco recurve R6 last year, great hitch/sway control. Unfortunately it’s overkill for my 3500 lbs tow weight (2H no tack room, and a small horse) so I’m looking for something smaller. My question is, what’s your experience with a WDH with sway control on non-paved roads? I’ve got nearly two miles of seriously washboard surface with ruts, rocks, potholes, hills, and curves before I get to the paved county road. Requires 4WD/AWD in the winter. I guess I’m basically looking for an off-road capable WDH/sway system. Anyone know if that’s even a thing?

I drive down a couple dirt roads (not 2 miles, but still) with mine and haven’t noticed a problem. What problem are you anticipating? You could also call the manufacturers and ask them.

1 Like