Unlimited access >

Weighted Boot Question

Can anyone ANSWER this question? (it seems this post is getting off the main purpose)

I own a pair of Equifit boots that have a weighted liner that can be attached. I know that their standard weight is 1lb per boot. Is it possible to add more weight to it? If so, what is the Max amount while keeping the boots safe for the horse?

What are other brands that currently make Weighted boots? What are their Standard/Max weight limits?

Thanks!
-Confused

I have these as well, but I am not sure how much they weigh. Are yours the one that you can add the lead plates with? That’s what I have.

eventer here… why does one pursue weighted boots?

[QUOTE=beowulf;8252512]
eventer here… why does one pursue weighted boots?[/QUOTE]
They are supposed to make the horse pick their feet up higher over the fence.

They are banned in FEI competition.

At least one eventer was eliminated for weighted boots at the China/Hong Kong Olympics.

If a horse warms up with weighted boots, it is harder for him to lift his legs with a 1 pound weight on each leg. So, when he goes in the ring, without the boots,it is easy for him to snatch his legs up higher that he might do otherwise.

The boots are legal for warm up, just not in the ring. So you might see a horse’s boots being changed out at the back gate – this is why.

From what I have seen, it is a training gimmick that is losing its proponents, although some people swear by them. I am neutral on the subject — I do not know if they work as advertised, but they do not hurt the horse, so if people think they help, then let them use the boots.

They are similar in theory to all the gaited horses who warm up with stretchy bungees attached to their hooves. It is harder for the horse to lift his legs with the bungees (it is a VERY stretchy bungy which just provides a little resistance at each step). Then at the back gate, the bungees are removed and the horse, now without resistance snatches his legs up very high.

Silly? Maybe. Harmful? No. Painful? No

As a hockey player weighted boots are not a new idea to me… Just surprised that people would risk jumping over fences with them. Granted it’s only a few pounds. Thanks for the explanation!

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;8253259]
They are similar in theory to all the gaited horses who warm up with stretchy bungees attached to their hooves. It is harder for the horse to lift his legs with the bungees (it is a VERY stretchy bungy which just provides a little resistance at each step). Then at the back gate, the bungees are removed and the horse, now without resistance snatches his legs up very high.[/QUOTE]

Close… It limbers up their muscles quicker without burning all their freshness and spending their stamina in the warm-up. You can warm a horse up in 5 minutes instead of 20. You have more horse left.