Unlimited access >

Weird Equibase Charts

This is one of the strangest charts I’ve seen. Especially the footnotes at the bottom of the page. :grimacing:

https://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=GP&raceDate=03/23/2022&cy=USA&rn=3

1 Like

There was a video of that race on Twitter when it happened. I believe the flamingo survived but the goose did not.

Oh dear. I’m surprised that the “ill fated Flamingo” survived. I’d have guessed the goose would have been tougher. It did say the goose was “leapt over” while the flamingo was “trampled”.

I always wonder how many issues some tracks must have with birds when I see on television, seagulls flying just above the horses in a race, as I saw last weekend.

Edited to make clear that I wasn’t flying just above the horses in a race last weekend. :blush:

Oh man I have to find that video!

RIP Goose (or Flamingo, whoever it was).

Warning; birds trampled by horses in this video.

I may have gotten my birds mixed up. I just remembered the goose really getting trampled. But the flamingo was probably more fragile.

Well, it’s obvious that neither of them had a good time of it… It’s impossible to tell by watching the video if either of them survived, poor creatures.

What do the stewards do with something like this? Refund on the most bothered horses? Figure well everybody had to deal with it, so even chances still? I seem to remember a man who was either crazy or drunk (or both) running onto the track at a race and trying to hit a runner, and I believe the bets on that horse were refunded.

I don’t know. :slightly_smiling_face:

They did nothing. If the fated horses had been declared non starters it would have been part of the chart.
Artax was the 4/5 favorite when the fan at my beloved Pimlico attempted to punch him. Bets were refunded in him but he did receive the purse money for finishing 5th so wasn’t declared a non starter.

I think that was what @dressagetraks was asking about, the effect on the wagering, not the order of finish.

I’m not a bettor but it seems a little unfair that a few of the fillies were challenged by having to leap over, go wide to avoid, or trample the waterfowl. I just don’t know how it works as far as the wagering is concerned.

In the case that you mentioned the bettors were compensated in some manner, yes?

Yeah, Artax, that was the name of that one. I remembered reading that it mentioned the betting being compensated on him, which only seems fair. Crazy story.

Not in this particular case with the birds but yes with Artax. Their bets were refunded.