Welp, I jinxed myself

Remember when I said Pecan harvest season is upon us, and we have so many I call it “ankle breaking time”?

Well here I sit, with a fractured foot. Went out at o’darkthirty to go to work, one porch light was out. Some of the delicious round, Elliot Pecans had blown up on the porch from the night’s storm. I tried to skate on them apparently. Also sprained my wrist when I fell. That makes crutches a lot of fun.

I have so much work to do here, I’m about to lose my mind. I have the dropped ceiling half torn out, the china cabinet half painted, and of course, millions of Pecans on the ground. Lots of limbs down that need chainsawing too.

So here I sit, feeling sorry for myself. It’s no longer boiling hot out, perfect riding weather, perfect outside work weather. But mostly I’m scared that this is the beginning of the end for me here on my place. I’m only 61, I thought I could squeak out 10 years on my Farmette before I shuffled off to…whatever. Now I see how vulnerable I / we all are to a seemingly simple injury. I have had many foot and/or ankle fractures in my life, knees too. But I always boarded before so had a built in safety net and didn’t have all this other stuff clamoring for my attention. .

I am going to look into hiring a handy man to do some things, but it irritates me. I really enjoy ‘doing all the things!’ and have lots and lots of fun plans. And I’ll probably miss work if they won’t let me work in a boot. So blah for me, lol. On the positive side, I do have a fireplace perfect for elevating a foot and settling in with a good book.

That’s a shame for you… but if you get a handyman out, at least you can get your most pressing projects accomplished. Injuries are the pits, but a couple of months will pass and you’ll be back on your feet again. At least you didn’t break something more life threatening! Sometimes falls like that are just warnings to slow down… and avoid something worse down the road. I used to move faster, a couple of stupid falls solved that potential problem… (I’m in your age group.)

1 Like

So sorry that you took a tumble and now are on the injured reserve list for a while.
It is never a good time to be sidelined, is it.

The house stuff can wait, right?
Harvest, not so much.

Here you won’t step on things in the dark, because those things bite and not always rattle to warn you.
You learn to have plenty of light or carry and use a flashlight.
I have one in every coat pocket and bigger ones by doors.

Hoping you won’t need surgery, that complicates everything.
Glad you didn’t also hit your head!

Yes, I was actually lucky my injuries weren’t worse. Somehow I also didn’t tear my new uniform, those are expensive!
My inner Norwegian is chomping at the bit to work outside. I come from hardy immigrants who homesteaded in Minnesota, so I guess its in my blood.

1 Like

I am a fan of led light strings and automated motion detectors for indoor lighting, no steps in the dark to find the light switch.
Inexpensive, light (easy to put up, tape down whatever) and helpful, they don’t replace lamps and overhead lights but do help light your way.
Set it up for my Mom so that it lit up when she used the stairs. Lowes had a motion detector unit (advertised for garages) that plugs into an outlet, and then
you can plug other devices (lamps etc) into it, so no rewiring.
Put your Norwegian work ethic into that and be kind to yourself.
Proper lighting gets to be really important as we age.