Unlimited access >

Welsh Section D breeders USA

I have my ears pricked for a new horse down the line. I have always had a thing for the Welsh cobs, Section D in particular. Potential horse would be a trail riding and camping companion, with some Dressage lessons thrown in every now and then for equitation…

I have been looking for breeders in the USA (West Coast in particular) so I can start thinking. This probably won’t be for another year or so. While I search, does anyone here have any recommendations for reputable farms?

@exvet ?

You might want to check out this one:
Dandardel Helios. He’s a beautiful horse and they might know where you could buy one

1 Like

Maybe check out MHS welsh cobs

1 Like

No help with finding one but… I love Section Ds, a current favourite mount is a chestnut D and I used to ride a lot of top class Sec C (who can take an adult easily). If I was looking for a horse right now I would be looking at Sec D because they can turn a hoof to anything and are easy keepers. What I would say is that they tend to be sensitive souls who respond well to riders who are fair and respectful. You can work with them but you can’t boss them. If you mishandle them they are clever enough, and strong enough, to make life miserable for their owner. They have something of a reputation in the UK of being a bit (too) hot but goodness, get one on your side and they try their socks off for you. They trot at 16 mph and are shown by handlers in running shoes. See if you can try before you buy. And be honest with yourself about your style of riding and expectations of your horse. Certainly not QH calm.

I no longer am breeding welsh cobs though I still own two and compete one, my 6 year old home bred. For what you describe on your wish list I do think MHS welsh cobs would be a good place to start. Bonnie and Todd are very fair in representing what they have. You might also try Goldhills Welsh in CA. The Verkuyls also do a great job with theirs and are nice people. Of course there are Winterlake Welsh Cobs and Lascaux Welsh Cobs in the PNW area as well as Cardod Welsh Cobs. There are others but I’m not as familiar with their programs. If you want one most likely to be suitable for dressage or driving competition I would suggest you consider traveling and checking out Lisa Brezina’s Castleberry Welsh Cobs in Indiana or Quillane Welsh Cobs in Maine/Mass. I also agree wholeheartedly with Willesdon on the comments about the breed. I absolutely adore them but they require a sense of humor such that you not take yourself too seriously because they’ll keep you humble for sure.

2 Likes

Check this;

https://wpcsa.org/all-classifieds/browse-ads/237/farm-breeder-listing/

1 Like

Thank you for the comment!
We have three purebred Arabians and I used to work at an Arab show barn…been around Arabs almost exclusively for the last 15 years, so I am familiar with that kind of brain/personality and have come to really adore it, despite the occasional exasperations. :slight_smile: I sometimes wonder if I’d come to miss the Arab sharpness if I went for another type of horse. Sounds like that might not be an issue with these cobs.

Thank you, I will definitely check out those farms. A sense of humor sounds right up my alley.
I would like a sane, sturdy, versatile partner to ride out in the sagebrush and strengthen my skills with. A shorter horse appeals to me for a variety of reasons (for one, I am 5’7" and of average build, but have slight left sided weakness due to illness…hoisting myself up on a 15.3h+ horse on trails doesn’t really appeal…) and I adore the more “Baroque” build of this type in general.

You’re most welcome. I must respond to the comment you made to Willesdon regarding Arabs. I earned my bronze on a Bey Shah son. I purchased from his previous owner after she decided she couldn’t 'channel his energy" any more. I’ve had additional Arabs which proved to be awesome mounts for my kids to grow up on and gave me fun times as well. I have ALWAYS described Welsh Cobs as Arabs on steroids. THAT should give you a really good idea on what you’re in store for…while I think Morgans are also similar, at least specific bloodlines, I really do think people who adore Arabs get along rather well with Welsh cobs. Good luck in your search.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are the more “Arab-y” Morgan bloodlines you mentioned? That’s another breed on my Potential list.

We have two retired seniors: a Khemo grandson I adore, and a straight Spanish mare. I would trust her with anyone’s grandma.
Then, my mom has an athletic and sensitive 13 year-old Polish/Egyptian gelding. I love him, but we don’t really click. None of them have ever been dangerous or wild or dumb under saddle, and our farrier and vets tell us they are among the most well behaved patients. But they are definitely horses that need to want to work with you, not necessarily for you.

I’m not married to any particular breed for my next riding partner and may well end up with another Arab, as seems to be our luck, haha…but who knows.

If you do look for a Sec D, there are two types. One is bred for a very flashy high knee action and is possibly more focused on driving. It is a relatively recent departure, big flash for the show ring. The other has a much more open shoulder and a longer stride - more “daisy cutter” I suppose, though I’m never 100% certain what it quite means. Look at some images and see what I mean. For riding, less knee action is far more comfortable.

1 Like

I believe the daisies being cut are those little tiny Bellis dasies that live in grass fields. They can survive being mowed as low as 2 inches! Thus, a daisy cutting horse has hooves that sweep along the ground like a mowing blade.

That’s my interpretation anyway…because sure as shootin’ a hackney could cut Shasta daisies!

1 Like

Sorry I was not clear. I think specific Morgan lines such as Lippitt, some of the government and some of the Brunk lines are very similar to the riding type of Welsh Cobs (the daisy cutter type). I had a fantastic welsh cob x morgan broodmare that I also used for competitive trail, hunter paces, etc who was very well built and balanced because her dam (mostly brunk and working western with some percentage of Lippit) was built much like the sire (Welsh cob). As for those Morgans being like Arabs, I feel that some of the show lines (especially those infused with ASB) probably are more similar to the Arab bloodlines those that tend to be used for park classes/English eq, etc. I’m sure there are those familiar with all 3 breeds that would disagree; but, that’s okay. My point is that if you’re used to a variety of Arab lines/working with Arabs, you are likely going to do okay with a welsh cob. Just remember that they usually have quite a bit more weight and leverage behind them than a lot of the Arabs especially those of the same height - that can be good or it can be bad.

If you are willing to shop on the West Coast of Canada (we are just above Montana), we breed Section D Welsh Cobs. :wink: Normally, we include the cost of Coggins and health papers in our sales prices. www.daventryequestrian.com

1 Like

@exvet thank you so much for taking the time to type that out and explain for me! Lineage and associated morphologies and personality types in horse breeding is fascinating to me. I will go look up some of those lines, just out of curiousity.
@Daventry I love your stallions, and your property is beyond beautiful. Thank you for replying :slight_smile:

So, I ended up buying a six year-old white molly mule today. I guess this means the cob will have to wait even longer, haha. Wish me luck with the longear, and thanks again for everyone who offered their insights — gave me a lot to think about!

1 Like

Good luck with your mule. I’ve had more than a few friends over the years acquire and show mules. They are an acquired taste, much like welsh cobs are. Like most equids, if you find the right one and bond with them, they are priceless. Of course being in the Grand Canyon state we see quite a few out on the trails around here. Now that the cats out of the bag, pictures my dear…you know it’s a requirement :wink:

1 Like

Congrats! Let’s see the long ears.

1 Like

I am so excited (but haven’t told my old gelding yet that he has to share me now, haha). Here are two bad stills from a video. She is being picked up and heading to a friend’s barn for quarantine on Monday, so I hope to have more photos then.

14.1 (that handler is quite tall, btw). Was used as a pack mule. Super friendly and into humans. Good with her feet and all of that jazz. My farrier, a self-professed mule person, will gentle her to saddle and help us both get a strong start together. Same as with the cob, I’d like us to do some camping, trails, and the periodic Dressage lesson down the line. Definitely NOT a cob but I couldn’t pass this one up. I love the mule/donk brain and have loved them since I was a little kid.

I’ve decided to name her Mochi.

image image

2 Likes

Wow, I love her! Congratulations! She’s got a good eye and looks to have 4 well planted on the floor :wink: I too am drawn to the long ears and as said have had many friends who’ve been successful with them in different venues. Good luck with her and keep us posted.

1 Like