Unlimited access >

Western Dressage / Micklem Bridle Legal?

Hello All,

I am considering entering Western Dressage at a breed show in the future. I currently ride English Dressage. My horse uses a Micklem Bridle. Is it legal in Western Dressage? If not, is there a similar bridle that is legal? Thanks,

1 Like

What rules are they following? I believe for WDAA it specifies a western bridle.

Which basically is browband=ok but nose band is not? and split reins…?

The WDAA people are very helpful and responsive so I would email and ask.
The rules state a western type bridle. A western type noseband may be used, plain or braided, and split reins or connected reins may be used.
I have used my old school futurity knot working headstall and my double ear show bridle without comment or incident, but I don’t use a noseband either way.

2 Likes

Here’s the tack and equipment guide. Hoping the link works!

http://www.westerndressageassociation.org/documents/WDAA-EquipmentGuide_Rev1-9-15a_54c0f3a7298f9.pdf

the USEF rule book also has a nice extensive section, just like the Dressage section with a lot of information. Best review all the rules

You can use a noseband in western dressage, but is has to be a western noseband. I have found that e-mailing a picture of the bit and bridle that I want to use to WDAA helpful. They have gotten back to me fairly quickly. I ride cowboy and western dressage and have for about 7 years now :slight_smile: Locally, not at the world show. I don’t believe that your english bridle will work and could get you eliminated. You can however use loop reins instead of split reins, they just have to be “western”.

1 Like