Unlimited access >

Western saddle pad storage ideas?

Not 100% sure if i should have put this in western or not so here it goes.

I have 7 western saddle pads and i currently only use two. I also have 10 english saddle pads and only use one(I rotate which ones i use frequently) I was wondering if there is some kind of Rubbermaid storage thingy that would hold these pads. I am willing to purchase two containers if needed. Or what ideas do you guys have? I’m up to anything! They are taking up wayyy to much room in my shed.
I do not want to purchase another hanging saddle rack or anything of the sort. I live in a desert area and would prefer the containers be sealed tight from scorpions and snakes.

If you want something sealed tight from scorpions and snakes, I would suggest NOT using run-of-the-mill plastic totes. Totes will bow and warp, and don’t seal tightly. I have found all manners of “critters” in the totes I store items in.

Instead, I would be looking at a plastic rolling toolbox thingy. They are usually around $50 at Lowe’s (usually found in the truck box aisle) and seal VERY tightly with compression locks. Handles on ends for lifting, stack beautifully. They are plenty big enough for English pads, but I think a Western pad would be a pretty tight fit. I would take a pad to the store with you to see…

Big galvanized metal trash can with lid.

Stanley trunks are fine for that, but check for moisture accumulation in there, if they are dirty when you store them, “stuff” may grow in them.

We like those many bar hangers to store extra saddle pads, where they can air well, in a dry and dust free place.

Timely thread as I’m moving and will need to store my tack in the garage for a bit.

Pheasantknoll about how many pads fit in a trash can?

These are the Stanley trunks, that have a retractable handle on one end and wheels on the other:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294

This is the saddle pad rack we have:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=df348347-0a46-47e6-bcd3-258687005754&sfb=1&itemguid=9eedcb88-7f3e-4a74-b31b-22beaf5e65a3&utm_content=33385&ccd=IFH003&mr:trackingCode=0C3BE364-3C81-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=43741505443&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=84506982883&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxpipBRCap8PR2Om7vq4BEiQA6V7OVYPRNR9ZpWsRStA_0E6_RDWe_Cx7f8BgTDSH5N75mAUaAsIC8P8HAQ

Both are pricey compared with plain trash cans, those would be the cheapest way to go.
The saddle pad rack is twice what ours was 10 years ago.

Well I guess it depends on how big the trash can is, but I would guess you could fit 3-4 in the large cans. I have a friend who suggested it to me a few years ago, but I haven’t done it myself. My DH built me a tack room about that time!