Unlimited access >

Westporte Info?

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with Westporte babies? What does he stamp? What are peoples thoughts/opinions on him as a breeding stud?

I am looking for something that can “cool” a more sensitive mare, add some height, and improve jumping technique. I have heard he has a great brain and passes this on to his babies- does anyone have experience with this?

Open to suggestions as well if anyone has any and can definitely provide more info. This is kind of vague just because I want some more insight on peoples experience and personal thoughts on the stud / his offspring overall.

Thanks so much!

I have a mare by Westporte, as well as a son of hers (so a grandson of Westporte). My mare is a full hand bigger than her TB dam was, and has a quieter/easier temperament. Not a kick ride (thank god, I don’t like that) but definitely not hot or overly sensitive. I was riding her bareback in a halter when she was 3 lol. All of her offspring have had her same temperament, great amateur horses.

I’ve never seen one that jumps bad, but I don’t know if he will improve poor technique or add scope where there is none. He will definitely give better movement.

Have friends who used him for their WB mares and one very fancy and fashionable bred, unraced TB, all shown successfully in Hunters. Must’ve been, maybe, about 10-12 years ago. Nice babies, but they were nice mares and lost track of them over the years. Heard at least one did breed back so must have been happy with the results when they matured. Certainly an option I would consider and very good value.

My barnmate has one she bred. Easy, easy, easy. Not a kick ride, but not overly forward. Has been to 5 A shows so far (4 yr old) and tricolored at 4 of the 5 in the baby greens- a real 10 jumper with an easy balanced canter…Best brain ever. 16.2/16.3 now, but looks like she will grow a bit more or at least fill out more. I would 100% buy a Westporte baby.

1 Like

friend has a son of him. easy horse. the perfect balance of kick and woah. super nice hunter. westporte seems to throw lovely hunter movement with brains too.