Unlimited access >

Weymouth Advice

Looking for advice on what curb bits I can hunt down to try before buying 2k worth of bits.

I have a 17yr old FEI horse that I am competing I1. He has always chomped/played with his tongue (draws it back, never sticks it out), and does not like taking the bridle (per a well known judge in the area, not just my own observation)

It’s gotten better in the year I have had him as the contact has gotten better and I do show him in a double (I could show him in a snaffle but that’s a topic for a different post).

I rode him in a Fager Madeleine eggbutt bradoon (single joint and lockes at a 60ish degree angle) when he would spit the bit out.

Changed to a NS Verbindend when he was more confident about the bridle. Currently what he seems to like the most.

I have tried:
Fager Elisabeth
HS HO (low ported, angled vertically)

Was thinking of trying:

NS Pacifier (has anyone tried it?)
A super ported Weymouth (NS Warmblood or something similar) to see if he prefers a bigger port.

Open to suggestions!

I’m sorry your horse and you are having difficulties.
I’d try him in just the NS Verbindend* since you say he likes it, and I’d forget about adding a curb; instead I’d work on my seat and hands until he was happy. No need for a Weymouth if there’s no requirement for one.

*Well, I would try him in a French link instead of the Verbindend.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply. A French link is not legal.

1 Like

I have a horse with a similar history. She also goes well in the verbinden in her snaffle bridle and as the bridoon for her double. We participated in a clinic with a NS bit fitter when starting her in the double, and she suggested the NS thoroughbred bit which has a gentle curve but no real port. It has worked well for her.

1 Like

What is his mouth conformation? I had a mare that I DID buy (probably more than) $2k worth of bits for. What she ended up loving is the NS Pacifier Weymouth (reverse ported) and the Sprenger (flattened) novocontact three piece bradoon. I also use the Novocontact for her snaffle. She has a narrow jaw, but is extremely fleshy and has a low palate, so the flattened bit is more comfortable and the reverse port sits in her mouth better with her shorter smile. Why don’t you contact Neue Schule and ask them?

Good grief. Shows how long I’ve been away! :upside_down_face:

Do you live somewhere with enough dressage people to have access to a bit/bridle fitter? There are quite a few who fit NS, and would let you ride in a Pacifier and others before deciding. I’ve also found that some horses prefer a tighter fit on their curb than you think they will - and a fitter will let you ride in multiple sizes before committing.

1 Like

Fager also has a Mullen mouth Weymouth curb, the Victoria with a titanium mouthpiece. This is one of the Weymouth curbs that I can actually ride while keeping contact (light contact) with just the curb bit. When introducing a horse to the double bridle I use this curb and I always make a point of keeping contact with just the curb for 2-3 strides while the bridoon rein dangles gracefully.

I also use the Fager Alicia bridoon, again with a titanium mouthpiece, three piece mouthpiece with a titanium roller in the middle link. I have not idea if this bridoon is “legal” for showing. The Fager Alicia is the bradoon version of the Fager Bianca titanium snaffle, the snaffle the horses seem to prefer me using on them nowadays.

I LOVE the Fager titanium bits, but with my hands (I have MS) I cannot use a lot of them without the horse protesting somewhat. These are the Fager titanium bits I have used on several elderly hunt seat lesson horses and none of these horses cussed me out about these bits. For instance I get cussed out about every other style of Fager Weymouth bits, sometimes vehemently. In other hands these Weymouths are fine, it is just my own hands that do not work well with them.

Of course my bank account is very happy that I cannot use all the Fager bits. It was very expensive for me to get the ones I have since I have no idea what mouth size my next lesson horse will have and I like to be prepared so I buy the equivalents of 4 1/2" and wider.