Unlimited access >

What about the USA selection procedures

There was a lot to do about the USA selection procedures of the dressage-team.

Some discussion on smaller BB’s were very intens, but how do you look at it now the ball is running ?

I can only base my opinion on statements from people I know for many years and trust very well, and it seems they all were right with their predictions.

well - we now know how those that were chosen did but have no way of knowing how the alternates might have done

Yes I know that, but many insiders predicted exactly what was going to happen at the WEG.

To me that was amazing and certainly not a gamble from this people.

but what happened at the WEG was entirely predictable, so why is that noteworthy? And they got what they went there for…so I imagine the powers that be are satisfied. It’s not like they had any hope of silver!!! But they did have some competition for the bronze. Still got it; mission accomplished. Two through to the special, a 4th place finish, both through to the freestyle. Nothing to complain about IMO. Except poor Brentina and Debbie, which is unfortunate but can hardly be helped.

edited to add I’m only speaking of it being predictable in very general terms–placings, medal, etc. I don’t mean to imply that I knew that this or that horse would do x,y, z.

I think everything went according to plan- that is good.
I think Leslie was not as good as Catherine could have been- but the big question looming was- could Catherine have ousted Debbie- most likely not…once you get into that above 70 field- it gets pretty tight and predictable- this would have been new waters to Catherine in a competition this big. The only thing that could have gone different would have been the special - if Catherine had started and gotten a good 70 or 71 score- how good could she have been in the special?

No change in the medals- no way- but maybe overall a tad stronger showing…not sure how well the team would have melted…it’s all an unknown…in the end it’s the individual and the horse at the time when it counts…that’s dressage for you!

SP said it right in an interview after the FTM. We (in the USA) are not used to ride in such an environment (end quote).

So maybe it should have been beter to have appointed Catherine in the team. Like Robert Dover suggested.

I heard that Tip Top had problems with spooking at LAEC during the symposium with Klaus in Dec, a fairly benign environment. Too bad Catherine did not get the chance and exposure to represent the US. I don’t know what the selection team was thinking, but maybe they should attend the final selection trials in person and not rely on paper.
Theresa

[QUOTE=Horsedances;1842755]
SP said it right in an interview after the FTM. We (in the USA) are not used to ride in such an environment (end quote).

So maybe it should have been beter to have appointed Catherine in the team. Like Robert Dover suggested.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that also nobody living in Germany is used to ride in such environment.
Isabel was in an interview, also Heike and Nicole Uphoff was co-commenting. All sais the same. Incredible environment, never happened before and most likely won’t aftwerwards.
I think it would be a great thing if Aachen would put the freestyle into the eveing progra under floodlight for the regular CHIO. I bet that a lot of people would go there especially if price money could be risen, so that even the dutch are comng (Mostly they avoid the german shows…)
I any case: It is a shame for those involved but as already said, there would not have been anychange in the team medals and as far as the individuals go that would also have been a very difficult task to get somebody into that close top. It is as it is. It was a great event for the dressage sport as such. It showd that the top isgetting more narrow with some other nations getting close. That will make it much more interesting in the future.