What are the very best knee braces for riding after ACL repairs?

I’ve had ACL repairs on both of my knees. I’m trying to get back into riding after taking many years off. I need support for both knees. Just wondering what braces folks have found that they like that aren’t to bulky to ride with?

I have used the Professional Choice one. I put it on over my boot as I remember.

IMO brace style(s) don’t matter…

As long as it’s comfortable.

What is MOST important is an appropriate off horse strength training program.

Also, cavalry foot and no heels down to maximize calf function.

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

Reviving this rather than start a new thread.

I am now wearing a hinged brace for walking, I don’t fancy riding in it, so asking again what people ride in, if anything?

[QUOTE=Haffy;6108445]
Reviving this rather than start a new thread.

I am now wearing a hinged brace for walking, I don’t fancy riding in it, so asking again what people ride in, if anything?[/QUOTE]

I’m using a hinged brace on both knees all the time (except sleep). Riding in them is comfortable.

they don’t damage the saddle at all? Which brace do you use, I have just about worn out my Donjoy and am looking at a new one, not sure whether to stick with tried and tested or experiment with something else

I did not use any brace to ride in after my surgery to repair my knee. The hinged braces don’t provide support once you are mounted…they will help protect your repair when you dismount. That was the hardest part for me.

I got into the habit of dismounting and with a flexed knee and to this day I often wind up in a deep knee bend. Luckily my horse has gotten used to my graceless dismount and stands quietly.

I did use a hinged brace for many months to protect my knee any time I went to the barn or risked walking on uneven ground.

fwiw, my surgeon (one of the best ACL surgeons in the U.K., does a lot of Premiership footballers etc) advised me not to use a knee support, he said that strengthening up the muscles (esp the quads) is THE best way to keep the joint stable after surgery.
he said that sportsmen have had knees go again while wearing hinged knees supports, and that they actually prevent the muscles from getting strong enough to support the joint again.
it felt a bit weird to ride with at first but after a few months was back to feeling normal.

Yep…. Another one for “no brace”.

My husband (an avid Mt. biker) recently had a new (donor) ACL put in (and MCL repairs, and an Oats procedure on his cartilage). Dr said not to bother with a brace.

His Dr is also a very well known “knee guy”. He is the current surgeon for the Oakland Raiders, and used to be the surgeon for the SF 49ers, and deals with many athletes from various sports.

The way he explained it is that ACL injuries are usually from twisting in some way. There is no way a brace is going to prevent the leg from twisting at the joint. The brace would have to be VERY VERY tight to prevent that sort of motion… actually, a brace CAN’T prevent that type of motion, it would have to be anchored to bone.

He said the brace would only be useful if you were to receive a blow to the knee (like a line backer) and advised against wearing one for riding. Strengthen instead like kerilli said.

He is 100% out a brace, and Dr and physical therapist wanted him out of the brace as soon as possible. Strength and range of motion are their biggest goals. He had the “big” surgery in October, and a follow up (clean up scar tissue) in December. He never wears a brace, and is now back to full on down hill mountain biking (the type where they do big jumps… and lots of crashes). I am surprised your Drs have you in braces following surgery.

I have an unstable right knee because I ruptured my ACLs over twenty years ago and decided against surgery. I wore a brace for a long time (6 months) after the initial injury, but after I found that I had a huge amount of muscle atrophy in my quads, I pitched it. Getting on and off was the only…interesting part. I taught all of the horses I was riding to sidle up to the arena half wall and stand almost below where i was sitting. Then I could use my right hand to lift my leg over their back (I was young and…um…determined). To dismount, I would lean forward, wrap my arms around the neck and slide off while supporting myself with the neck. Strangly, none of the horses ever minded me hanging off of their neck before I GENTLY put a foot on the ground (I am small,though).

I would suggest going without the brace. Just make sure you keep your knees lined up with your toes. No torque in the leg. That is really bad.

I had my ACL reconstructed about 6 years ago. My surgeon who specializes in knees does not recommend a knee brace. I have never felt like I needed it.
Another vote for no brace.

I tried riding in a hinged brace and couldn’t so I went to every store I could and bought all kinds of different braces and tried them all until one worked perfectly because some pinch and some just don’t sit right over clothing. You just need to try a bunch of different ones and see what suits you best.

That’s a good question to ask your doctor. It’s important to get the right kind of brace so you don’t weaken your knees further. Once your doctor recommends a good brace you should be able to find a good deal at stores that sell discount medical supplies.

The most famous attractions in NYC: Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art etc. Here is a good link for you: http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1843404,00.html

i jumped in the CTI2. until my knee was fully recovered at about 16 months. it was very comfortable. didnt mind it at all. did not have bars on the inside so you could comfortably ride in it.
i dont know if it helped, but it gave me confidence to jump. i ditched it at the finals that i got to show in. was jumping 3ft.

[QUOTE=TSWJB;6243865]
i jumped in the CTI2. until my knee was fully recovered at about 16 months. it was very comfortable. didnt mind it at all. did not have bars on the inside so you could comfortably ride in it.
i dont know if it helped, but it gave me confidence to jump. i ditched it at the finals that i got to show in. was jumping 3ft.[/QUOTE]

Good to know - I’m in the Innovator right now, and the next one will most probably be the CTI2.

I had the ACL, PCL and LCL replaced in two surgeries in December, and no matter how much PT and exercise I do, a brace will be on for a few years still, probably forever. Surgeon was the big guy for the Jets and Islanders, and said that it would do permanent damage to the knee if it wasn’t supported.

Coreene,
YOu also have a multi-ligament knee. That is for sure an indication to use a brace for activity from here on out.

A single ligament knee…not as critical

REgards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

Yeah, that one misstep - on perfectly flat ground of course - managed to well and truly change my entire life. :cry:

[QUOTE=Coreene;6260057]
Good to know - I’m in the Innovator right now, and the next one will most probably be the CTI2.

I had the ACL, PCL and LCL replaced in two surgeries in December, and no matter how much PT and exercise I do, a brace will be on for a few years still, probably forever. Surgeon was the big guy for the Jets and Islanders, and said that it would do permanent damage to the knee if it wasn’t supported.[/QUOTE]

I just had my acl replaced with a donor hamstring and pcl replaced with a donor achilles tendon in January. I was just ok’d by my doctor hessitantly yesterday to stop wearing my brace. I had already not been using it a lot. I know that one wrong step and I can mess my whole surgery up. Its looking like August before I can get on my horse again. This is my 4th surgery… Ive had both my hips reconstructed and some hardware removed all before I was 22.

I was using a hinged bledsoe brace. I sat in my saddle on a saddle stand and it didnt feel bad or scratch it… Not sure what would happen when actually riding… Good luck!

Coreene, what was your original injury? Or did your injuries occur over time? I’ve been following the “knee and ankle brigade” thread. I feel for you and I can’t imagine what you’ve been going through. You are a strong woman and not many people can really understand the amount of inner strength you need to have in order to stay positive. Cheers to you and thank-you for sharing your experiences. It helps to hear other peoples’ stories as a way to understand our own.