Unlimited access >

What are you feeding your 3-5 year olds?

I just got a 4 year old who is a 17+ hand hanoverian. He was on 4-5 lbs of Strategy and Vitamin E per feeding. I’m hoping to switch to part strategy/other pellet part regular grain. He’s also currently out 24/7 in a big grassy pasture. He has not been in work but that is changing now. We’ll be starting pretty slowly but I am curious to see what other people are feeding their still maturing/starting to get into regular work greenies.

Easy keeping 3 yo: handful dry COB mix so she gets her tri-amino, Vit E and MSM. Free choice hay which sometimes has some alfalfa. This one can’t have pelleted feed–I would not normally feed a COB.

Rehab 3 yo: 2 c alfalfa pellet, 2 c beet pulp pellet, 1 c oats, 1/2 c oil–all soaked. Tri-amino, MSM, Vit E. Free choice hay, couple flakes of alfalfa daily. He’ll be transitioning to 2 - 3 qt Nutrena Senior + oil instead of the soaked feed now that he is out with my other horses. Hay and sups will stay the same.

If your horse is doing well on the Strategy, I would keep him on it. If you want to change, I would find something with a lower NSC. Strategy is QUITE high, IIRC. I am a big fan of alfalfa (pellets, cubes or hay) and/or oil if you need to add more calories.

I have a hard keeper 4 y/o QH. I used to have him on 3.5 pounds Southern States 11/6 pellets, along with rice bran. The rice bran did an EXCELLENT job at putting weight on him, and he’s actually keeping it on now. He is now off the rice bran and at 2 lbs 12 oz of the same grain.

It really completely depends on the individual horse. I put my young one on Triple Crown Senior after we broke him, at age 3. He was a ginormous Dutch WB and it suited him beautifully- he was up to about 6 lbs a day at age 5, in regular work to be a jumper.

My 3 year old lives on pasture 24/7 and gets a couple flakes (from a 120lb bale, so big flakes) of timothy/orchard grass a day plus a half scoop (about 1 1/2 lb) of LMF Super Supplement.

Variety of forage, whole grain feeds, minerals, and vitamins. I stay away from any and all pelleted feeds, they seem to be per digested and does not promoted healthy digestive tracks.

My just turned 4 year old is on Triple Crown Senior but he’s a rescue and needs loads of groceries!

Both are on pasture 24/7 and both get only one cup of this:
http://www.haystackfarmandfeeds.com/horse-products/special-blend-pellets/

And this for vitamins:
http://www.californiatrace.com/ingredients.html

We don’t start feeding hay until the snow flies here since the pastures are good.

Three year old is 17H and two year old is 16H, they are full siblings, KWPN.

Both look great.

[QUOTE=PNWjumper;7171292]
My 3 year old lives on pasture 24/7 and gets a couple flakes (from a 120lb bale, so big flakes) of timothy/orchard grass a day plus a half scoop (about 1 1/2 lb) of LMF Super Supplement.[/QUOTE]

I love that you said this, as this is our plan for Yukon too :slight_smile:

My 4 year old Hanoverian gelding gets Nutrena Safe Choice Senior and added rice bran for extra fat. He needs a fair amount of groceries but he gets silly pretty easily from lots of sugar/starch in feed (Strategy made him lose his head), and this feed has kept him sane.

Progressive Nutrition Grass Diet Balancer …and Envision Classic for added calories if needed…also Fibre or Speedibeet if even more calories are needed

What is “regular grain”?

My 17+ hand 4yr old WB (Size 3 shoe and 84" blanket- estimating her weight at 1600 +/- lbs. ) mare gets about 6 lbs per day of ADM’s Primeglo, 1lb Healthy Glo Ricebran (down from 2lbs daily) and added Vitamin E. She also gets about 3/4 a bale of hay per day. (She is gaining weight on this ration, as we needed to put some weight back on)
This is a photo from about 2 weeks ago.
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1174573_10201842169401036_1467892140_n.jpg