What are your best kept tips, tools, and tricks?

Like the subject says, what are some things you swear by that (perhaps) aren’t well known or practiced? Just thought we could share the wealth of knowledge this community has. Thanks in advance!

Tire Shine for winter riding boots --at our hunt we wear Mountain Horse or similar all winter long --I keep tire shine (doesn’t freeze) in my horse trailer to spiff up the boots before hunting and after.

1 Like

24/7 turnout. Fit, happy horses.

19 Likes

Have a thorough written checklist of what to make sure is in the trailer while loading up for travel to a horse trial. Don’t trust your memory and your best intentions. And for the really, really important things, like reins and girths, load up a spare.

And speaking of spares, add a second spare tire for your trailer. Then if you have a flat and change the tire, you will still have another spare tire. If you have ever had a trailer flat on the road, it is great for peace of mind for the remainder if the trip.

8 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: this is already proving useful!

1 Like

Best tip: around 20%
Best tool: 3/8” adjustable head socket drive
Best Trick: Riffle Force (sleight of hand)

7 Likes

:star: Learn how to tie a trucker’s hitch. (Just kidding - try this) Best knot ever for tying down loads, tarps, guy lines, anything you need to keep tight but need to undo later without popping a vein.

:star: Rechargeable battery powered tire inflator (I like Ryobi) - keep it in the trailer.

:star: Three rubber bands for each braid - one at the end, fold once and band again. Fold again, last band. Will. Not. Fall. Out. They grip onto each other.

Along that vein, always pack a spare pair of breeches and socks. I basically have a second set of everything in the trailer that’s only used at events - show bridle, boots, brushes, saddle pads, etc. - that all live in there.

When getting ready for an event, I try to use the mindset of “If it can be done now, do it.” E.g., don’t leave everything until the night before. I pack my show bag (clothes), shine my boots, clean my show bridles, and put it in the truck a couple of days in advance, so it’s one less thing to think about the night before/morning of.

4 Likes

I’ve personally found that the rubber bands from Sally Beauty Supply are better (and cheaper) than the ones you get from the tack store! Much more stretch and they don’t break as easily.

2 Likes

The trailer ‘walk around’ before you drive - every time. A friend lost a very nice bridle - the kids left laying in the grass.

A small size trailer fork for travel - and doubles as ‘kid sized’ for the extra learn to be helpers.

A full set of extra horse’s shoes.

A hundred dollar bill (or a 50) to tip the guy at the gas station in KY that works at the race training facility when he asks you if you’ve got extra room in your trailer for a free horse that’s got to go. :wink: Honestly that did happen to us in Prospect KY!

3 Likes

Instead of buying packs of water bottles for a horse show, buy a topper and a wire stand ($20ish from Amazon) for the bubbler sized water refill at Walmart. $10 tops per container and will keep you and your crew hydrated through a whole weekend (maybe more). I drink a lot of water per day and have saved a ton of money this way when showing! Just set it up and refill your bottle whenever

2 Likes

I am having trouble picturing this setup but would be interested to see a picture. Personally, I just keep a couple of the refillable gallon jugs in my truck/cooler and refill my insulated water bottle/cup as I go. You can refill them for 25c at the grocery store, or for free out of your sink…

1 Like