Unlimited access >

What are your preferences between County saddles, Schleese and Bliss jump saddles?

I purchased a new, customized Antares jumping saddle last fall with the assistance of their saddle fitter/rep for my 17.2 hh broad shouldered Irish Sport Horse. He did not take any measurements of her back what-so-ever (said not necessary) when he ordered the saddle for me. He had the points cut back to provide clearance for her shoulders but the 4.5" tree (and gullet, in my opinion) is too narrow - she was tender behind her shoulder blades after our last ride. Without about 1 1/2" of lift in the back, the saddle sits very downhill. When leveled with lifts, the saddle pinches behind her shoulders. After reviewing pictures, he has offered to have a new saddle with a wider tree made for me at no additional charge but still didn’t show any interest in the measurements I took of my horse’s back and withers (said their saddlers don’t generally use back and wither tracings). While waiting for a response from him re how to best proceed, I have tried a number of other saddle brands. I particularly liked the County Innovation and one of the Schleese models (not the Eagle). I haven’t tried a Black Country or any of the Bliss saddles. Because I’m afraid the new Antares I receive will still not fit properly, I want to be ready to buy another saddle. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations you can provide between these 4 brands would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insights.

I have an older Schleese, I think its just called a JES. Its comfy and well-made, but the balance point is really far back for me. I feel like I have to climb out into my two-point, and my position does NOT need anything else working against it.

I’m kind of wary of “Dressage brands” now, which would give me pause on the Bliss saddles, but that might be totally unreasonable.

The jumping saddle I really like is a CWD. It was built for my horse, who is a reasonably wide Trakehner with a HUGE laid-back shoulder. The flex points on the CWD tree really give him a lot of freedom, while still letting the saddle fit my long leg (I have the longest, most forward flap they make.) The balance point is more forward, and overall helps my position over fences.

Had a bad experience with an Antares rep years ago saying he could order a saddle for me and then we could pad it up to make it fit. Not what I wanted to hear. Had the County rep out and trying a number of saddles settled on a Stabilizer (this was before the Innovation came out). Have been happy with the saddle ever since and my horse is happy too!

You might call your County rep and try their various saddles as I am sure you can find one that will fit your horse and you.

I have an older County Stabilizer (2006 model). I absolutely LOVE it! It has a more centered point of balance compared to the Tad saddles and French saddles. That being said, I feel, much more secure in my County than I have in other saddles. It took a little while to get used to, but I would not trade it for the saddles I used to have. My horse is incredibly happy with it as well. Since it is wool, it can be adjusted as often as needed.

I have a 15.2 1/2h TB but he is stocky and built. He has huge shoulders. The County allows him to move more free and use himself. In fact, after switching to this saddle, I had to learn how to ride my horse again. His stride became much bigger.

I am not familiar with Schleese saddles, but I did try a few Black Country models and did not care for them. The point of balance was so far back I felt like I was riding my horse’s hind end versus the rest of him. I have several friends that purchased Black Country’s and they absolutely love them. I think it is a personal preference. I would consider looking at other saddles.

[QUOTE=rugbygirl;8045057]
I have an older Schleese, I think its just called a JES. Its comfy and well-made, but the balance point is really far back for me. I feel like I have to climb out into my two-point, and my position does NOT need anything else working against it.

I’m kind of wary of “Dressage brands” now, which would give me pause on the Bliss saddles, but that might be totally unreasonable.

The jumping saddle I really like is a CWD. It was built for my horse, who is a reasonably wide Trakehner with a HUGE laid-back shoulder. The flex points on the CWD tree really give him a lot of freedom, while still letting the saddle fit my long leg (I have the longest, most forward flap they make.) The balance point is more forward, and overall helps my position over fences.[/QUOTE]

The JES did the same thing for me. I haven’t tried a CWD, mainly because I’m looking for a saddle with wool flocking (I think theirs is foam or synthetic?). Might give it a try though.
I laughed about your description of having to “climb out” of the saddle to get into 2 point. That is how I feel in the Antares.

I’ve tried both the County Innovation and the Stabilizer. REALLY liked both of them but they sat too low on my mare’s withers although they fit her shoulder well. There was only about 1" clearance in the wither after riding for about 20 mins, mostly walk/trot. I could follow up and see if they could customize to fit her though. Thanks for your response.

The County saddles I tried were my favorites so far (but again, I haven’t tried Black Country, Bliss or CWD). Other than the Antares I bought, I have tried Devecoux, DelGrange and Voltaire. I’ve heard concerns such as yours regarding the Black Country saddles.

Did you have your Country saddle customized in any way in order for it to fit your horse in the shoulder area?

I have been very happy with my experience with County. I love the saddle (a Conquest) and the practical nature of the rep (and the fact that I got a saddle custom made in my budget). The rep is also attentive and doesn’t get you your saddle then leave you hanging like so many of the French saddle reps do.

My horse isn’t a terribly difficult fit, and when I got my saddle, I didn’t want it totally customized for JUST him, as I was riding multiple horses at the time (though his comfort and opinions on the saddles I tried was my priority!). So, we didn’t do anything other than find a saddle he liked and a tree size that worked. That being said, I have friends with tricky horses and they have had their horses’ needs met by County.

I just bought a '95 County Symmetry with skidrow panels that fits my shark-finned, giant-shouldered TB mare like a dream. It needs to be reflocked (20-year-old wool, I think it’s understandable!), but I adore it. It’s also the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in and puts me in a much better position than anything else I’ve ridden. Big vote for County over here! The Symmetry is discontinued, but apparently the tree is similar to the Stabilizer.

My County was used when I purchased it. It happened to be the first County I tried (after 5 other saddles, all different brands). I worked with a saddle fitter and sent pictures of several different County saddles from several different consignment shop. She suggested the Stabilizer over other models and picked this particular one. It worked wonders.

My guy has shark fin withers, huge shoulders, a flat back like a picnic table. The saddle I purchased has a higher pommel so it worked. If I can remember, I will take a picture of it for you. I bought it through Patricia with Fine Used Saddles.

Our Irish horses are happy with their County saddles. One of our horses came to us with a very sore back and patches of white hair from where the previous owner’s saddle rubbed him. The County rep saw him 2 days after I bought him. After 2 weeks of using a County saddle that fits him well, his back was no longer sore.

County

Hate to say it, but sounds to me like you’re dealing with a saddle REP and NOT a true saddle fitter. They are not always the same.

Another thumbs up for County saddles. I rode in a County Drespri…which is really more of an AP saddle, for twenty years until I seriously devoted myself to dressage. Unless I went custom (which I couldn’t afford at the time), I couldn’t find a County that suited ME and my horse at that time.

I sold my Drespri, after I reflocked it, to a lady who rides mules. It was the only English saddle (without going custom) that I could find to fit her mule mare (not sure that is correct term). That saddle is 28 years old and is still in great shape. Many of my customers (I’m an independent saddle fitter) go with used County’s…and every County rep I’ve dealt with has given great customer service. Hard to beat a well fitting County saddle. :yes:

I can’t say anything about Bliss, as that is a brand I’ve never dealt with, and although I know Schleese makes jump saddles, I personally don’t know anyone who has one…so, sorry, no help there.

Good luck in your saddle hunt. Even with going custom, finding the right saddle can be a challenge.

I meant to add that while I’ve never ridden in a Schleese, they do have very wide twists. That works great for some, and is absolutely the worst for others.

When I was shopping I tried a County Innovation that was like heaven – I loved it! Just too wide for my horse. I also tried Bliss of London and while I like the fit for my horse (TONS of wither clearance) I didn’t love the leather. It’s quality, just not calfskin which is what I was looking for.

I ended up with a Prestige Meredith.

THANK YOU!

:slight_smile: Thanks everyone for all of your very valuable comments. Appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me.

Actually Schleese saddles have pretty narrow twists on the whole, unless the customer requests a wide twist. They also have a couple new jumping saddles out - the Jete and the Merci. Margie Gayford is working with them on the Jete design.