What brand of cat food are you feeding your cats?

I am the proud newish owner of three barn kittens, 7ish months old. I’ve had them in a crate 3.5 weeks now. I’ve been feeding Tikis, which they think is crack. We tried 5-6 different brands. They definitely have favorite flavors and brands. Tikis is pricey so I save it for when I’m feeding them off the long spoon on a stick thing. They aren’t friendly yet, but Tikis is helping.

I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to feed dry food. Learn something everyday. I’ve been feeding them Friskys hard food as that’s what the rescue place said they were used to eating. I’ll have to switch to the freeze dried raw stuff.

I need them to tolerate me and stick around.

You are not alone, and considering the majority of VETS are still recommending kibble (don’t even get me started), a rescue can be forgiven for resorting to the cheapest, easiest option just to stay afloat.

Look, it’s no different than people food - buying good quality, nutritious food is more expensive than it should be. It’s not fair. It shouldn’t be so hard to eat right, but fresh and local costs more.

It’s easy to get a bunch of junk from a rendering plant, remove all moisture, cook it at a zillion degrees, add some token vitamins/minerals and some flavouring to make it palatable and sell it in bags for cheap. That’s why pet food companies make a killing on dry food (also why there are waaaaaaay more recalls with dry than with canned!).
But it’s junk. It’s McDonald’s for pets.

If buying freeze dried raw is cost prohibitive for you, just go with cheap canned and buy in bulk. The cheapest canned food is still much healthier than kibble.

Good luck with the barn kittens - i’m sure they’ll come around quickly! :heartpulse:

3 Likes

I was feeding Wellness but Theodore let me know in no uncertain terms that it was ruining his urinary bladder. His urine ph was about an 8.0. I’m not seeing signs of crystals but he could have some started. I didn’t check with the microscope yet.

I went ahead and switched to Purina urinary but it gives him bad gas. Not sure that is going to be a long term solution if it starts causing diarrhea. He has always had a sensitive stomach so this may be a difficult transition. Digestive wise, he did well on the wellness.

Ten days on with the Friskies turkey or chicken with gravy, and not only is she still eating it, but it is all she will eat.
So, all those other cute little tins of single servings are going out to the barn boys, and if they don’t eat it, the chickens will.
The side benefit, although she has a voracious appetite for her new favourite cat food, there is also less vomiting than with dry.
I call it a win.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! I have a picky eater too, I know how frustrating it is to open can after can and the absolutely starving cat still says “nope!” :joy:

1 Like

PurinoPro cans, they adore Friskies but one throws up on it and her coat gets dry, itchy and dandruff from it.
Kibbles are PurinaPro Plan for sensitive stomachs,Oatmeal & Turkey or Lamb&something.

Thanks, appypaint. It is frustrating for sure!
Especially after you have made lists, stood in the cat food aisle and carefully chosen expensive little cans, heart lifted with hope you dish it out, and they respond with that resounding “nope!”.

2 Likes