Unlimited access >

What breed would you choose?

If price, availability of (quality, well bred) puppies wasn’t an issue….
What breed would you choose for your next dog?
Why that breed?
What would your plan be for the dog (sports, showing, agility, companionship, etc)?

Mostly being curious, but also pondering other breeds for my next dog, rather than what I’ve had.
ETA: I’m not looking for advice on how to pick my next dog, but thanks.

I’ve had Labs & GSDs for most of my life.
I’ve done hunting (Labs).
S&R, OB competitions, camping, hiking, (Labs & GSDs).
Schutzhund, AKC tracking, CAT, Fcat, (GSDs).

White Bull Terrier (or Miniature)
They have been my favorite breed at least ever since I saw Bodger in “The Incredible Journey” (book and movie).
I think they are very good-looking dogs and I would want one for companion on walks and at horse shows (ones where dogs were allowed and welcomed).

One would not be at all practical for my lifestyle now, however, even if I had the budget.
So if I were in the market for a dog I would consider a Toy Poodle.

3 Likes

I would pick the same breed I’ve owned for 20 years: Australian Shepherd.

They are versatile, personable, funny, sometimes intense, wicked smart, and easy to train.

10 Likes

Azawakh.

Unfortunately, the breeders of these dogs are out and out catty, rude, and unfriendly. I have tried to get information and was absolutely slaughtered. Every week there’s another bickering match on one of their facebook groups where they put the latest breeder they don’t like on blast, and not in a constructive way.

I don’t want to deal with any of that, so I have abandoned hope of ever getting one.

Next up - Ibizan Hound. After that - Pharaoh Hound.

I personally like the looks and personalities of sight hounds.

4 Likes

As an adult, I’ve had six greyhounds (all former racers) and have loved them all. They are a great fit for my lifestyle - minimal exercise needs other than a daily walk or some good zoomies in the yard. They have all had very different personalities, but all have been very sweet. Some have liked to cuddle, some have liked to play, some don’t know how to play. But they are wonderful companions.

Downside - not great if you want a dog you can go off leash with. We could do that with two of ours on trails, but not with the other four.

If you are looking specifically for a puppy, there are a few breeders still in the US. I’m so thankful that people are making efforts to keep the breed going even after racing has mostly been phased out in this country.

11 Likes

I’d stay with my current breed - Brittany.

They are becoming a more common agility dog than in the past - they are smart, athletic, and can be easier as pets for some people than herding breeds that are common in agility. This is a fun video of the AKC Agility Invitational in 2020:

If money and time were no issue I’d love to participate more in field events and start agility…every Brittany I know loves them both. I just don’t have the time…but maybe some day.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted a greyhound my entire life.

Unfortunately, it has never worked out, even as an adult: living in rentals, no fenced yard, etc.

Now that I’m finally a homeowner, it still hasn’t worked out due to having a small child and cats plus the decline in available dogs. I’ve also found a lot of the remaining rehoming organizations kind of difficult to work with.

DH used to despise greyhounds, but his boss owns them and brings them to work, which has made him a believer.

So maybe someday. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

German Shorthair Pointer or a DK. I’d be happy with most of the versatile breeds, but GSP’s are definitely my favourite.
The plan for the dog would be mostly upland hunting (grouse, woodcock, and released pheasants), if I had the time and money to travel than we’d head west for some of those birds as well. I’d love to go chukar hunting one day, ptarmigan as well. The odd duck hunt, but I don’t like sitting still and I get cold, which is why I’m ok picking a shorthair over one of the bearded breeds.
Once the snow hits than I’m all about the skijoring. Our club allows dogs on the trails during the week, it’s a blast. There’s a handful of races within a few hours of me as well.
Shed hunting in the spring is always fun. Like an adult Easter egg hunt.

During the work week I do a lot of running, biking and skiing when I’m not at the barn. On the weekends we’re usually at the cottage, out hiking, fishing, or hunting, unless of course I’m at a horseshow. Perfect for a high energy breed.

2 Likes

Aussie is slated for our next dog, and if the stars align it would be from Kemosabe. Three of our dogs are older and we won’t get another until these are gone so hopefully it is still a few years away. We’ve had many many Aussies in the past and they are the best all around dog for what we do. I trust Kemosabe’s breeding program to deliver the kind of Aussie we want since a lot of what I see now is not.

6 Likes

Cats aren’t always a problem but smart to wait until your child is old enough to be able to respect a dog’s space. That’s one of the challenges with adopting older dogs in particular - they aren’t always as accepting of small children’s behaviors.

Not sure where you are located, but I hear you on some of the adoption agencies being difficult. Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

2 Likes

@GoodTimes - you actually sound the PERFECT candidate for a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver!!

If I were in the market for another dog, it would be hands down the South African Boerbel. And it would live at my lodge in South Africa. But because we are not there but 3-4 months of the year (the rest in MN), I couldn’t do that.

If I were in the market for another dog in the US, another Chesapeake. Our current one is 11 years old and she’s the 3rd one we’ve had. Great hunting dogs and honestly, the best all around companion (but definitely NOT for everyone, they are NOT a Lab). But since we have been spending so much time in South Africa in the last year since we bought the lodge, I just won’t do it. It’s so hard leaving her to go there, but we just can’t take her with.

2 Likes

I actually grew up with labs and Chesapeakes! My mom was very involved with field trials and both parents love duck hunting.
I prefer upland over waterfowl though, and for that I prefer a pointer over a flusher.

1 Like

I love chessies. I wouldn’t mind having one but iirc

My dad had some chessies too (he also raised blue ticks; they’re not commonly waterfowl dogs any more but some of the old lines weren’t bad gun dogs). I wouldn’t mind having either, tbh.

2 Likes

ME TOO!! My DH says no. He does not like their skinny build. I love them and would have 10 if I could. My last cat has crossed the rainbow bridge and I purchased a home and fenced in the 2crs in 2021 I am getting a greyhound next. I don’t care what DH says. I used to work at a motel in Rehoboth Beach De and every Columbus day weekend was the “Greyhound Reach the Beach” social event. It was the only time all of the hotels/motels would be dog friendly (this was in the late 1990-2000). It was so much fun to watch a hundred or so dogs gather on the beach and have fun!!

Regarding the OP question.
I have dogs as family members, they do not need to do a job or be involved with sport, but if I had time I would do agility / rally / Fly ball, OB and scent work. (meaning I do not focus on purpose bred).

Border Collies are my favorite and have had one (broder / lab cross) and am on my second one. She will do agilty and may be get into scent work too. She starts puppy classes in 2 weeks. The lab in them tends to keep the coat shorter. IME.

Sight hounds are at the top of my list too. I have one and have worked with Ridgebacks, they are great family dogs that are game for most things you throw at them.

This is hard, its like picking a favorite kid.

And I would add Blackmouth Curs to the list too. I clearly like a ‘best buddy’ type of dog.

My focus usually is; short hair, (no double coats) med to large size, loves a ball, goofy type of dog. Mutts, purebred, purpose bred with working lines, etc does not matter to me.

I am happiest with a dog, a tennis ball, and a lovely evening.

10 Likes

What do you want the dog to do? Like horses, fitting the animal and the job is important. That said, I’ve always had herding breeds. I love their attentiveness and desire to please. I’ve had border collies, one great gsd, and for the last 20 years or so rough collies, who can be happy with a quiet life andlots of affection.

5 Likes

For me, it would be a smooth Collie. I had Poodles (Standards and Minis) for 30 years. When the last one died, I was ready for a new breed, one that didn’t require as much grooming. Poodles set the bar really high on both intelligence and willingness to please–but my two smooth Collies matched it handily. They were a joy to live with: always ready for an adventure, but equally happy to be couch potatoes when I needed them to. First dogs I ever had who would strike out to follow a pointing finger, or the direction of my gaze, because that kind of attentive response was bred into them. They also liked to herd my husband. :rofl: Both Collies lived to a happy, mostly healthy, old age. I would love to have another.

2011-8-15-b

20 Likes

Agree about what you want to do with a dog.
Also pick a breed that fits your lifestyle .
I’ve had toy poodle, rough collies (2), GSD (2) and a malti-poo.
I love the super smart, obedient
ones who love to cuddle.

2 Likes

I’ve always had GSDs in the sable color. They’ve all been fabulous dogs, and I’m a terrible dog trainer. My last two I took in as older dogs who needed a home. They were fabulous (sable color), as well.
One of the things I like about them is they scare people w barking, and as soon as I say “it’s ok”, they are quiet.

7 Likes

YUP, my previous GSD (sable) was like a Golden temperament wise, but people crossed the street to avoid us as she looked like a big police dog. Luckily both of mine have been sweet and sociable. Both rescues.

5 Likes

This is really hard to pick!

I would love another German Shepard or another good Australian Cattle Dog. I’ve had both and absolutely love the ACD’s. When we have the land for it in a few years, my dream is to have a Cane Corso. They need more room and a less crowded place than the neighborhood I am in.

1 Like