Unlimited access >

What charges for tack cleaning?

Posting for a friend who doesn’t have COTH.

She wants to try to make some extra money cleaning tack. She is very good at it, and I’ve had her tackle some items for me when I didn’t have time or desire (mostly recently she saved four leather halters and some unused bridles that went furry with mold after a water leak in my tack room). She sent me a price list but I feel like the bridle pricing is high and the Western saddle price is low. She was also going to charge the same for both English and Western saddles, whereas I think a Western saddle should be higher.

What say you, COTH? What prices do you see, have you paid, or would you be willing to pay? Probably not the disaster she cleaned for me, just regular use.

If I were to do it, I would think of it on an hourly basis.

I can clean and condition an english saddle in probably 20 minutes, if I have all my stuff laid out already. $25.

Bridles, same amount of time. $20 (due to less conditioner use than the saddle).

Western saddle would take me probably 45 minutes, longer if it’s heavily tooled and I have to scrub. Western saddle leather is likely to take more conditioner due to it being harness-type and there being more leather to put it on. $45 for a simple saddle, more for the tooled.

If something is REALLY dirty, there would be an upcharge.

My prices might be high, but I use very nice conditioners, and I value my time well.

1 Like

Up the bridle charge. Takes me forever to get them apart, cleaned, polish buckles, then put back together. At least 30 minutes. I could be slow though.

4 Likes